Q. Found a hard nonmobile lump under my nipple. Is that an usual spot of breast cancer?

Dr. Arshad Hussain Shah

I am a 25-year-old female. I found a quarter-sized hard nonmobile lump under my nipple a day ago. Is that an usual spot to get breast cancer?

#

It is usually uncommon to have breast cancer in this age group. It looks most likely a benign breast lesion or a localized infection.

You have not given many details about this lump such as skin or nipple color change, any nipple discharge, whether you are married/unmarried or breastfeeding mother, any family history of breast or ovarian cancer which may be helpful in identifying high-risk breast lumps.

Nothing to worry about, but it is recommended to visit a mammalogist or a General surgeon and let them examine this breast lesion. If needed they will put you on close follow up or investigate further with ultrasound breast or MRI breast.

The significant risk factors for developing breast cancer are.

1. A family history of breast cancer.2. Obesity.3. Certain genetic syndromes.4. Any previous breast lump.5. Hormone replacement therapy, history of estrogen intake.6. Early menarche or late menopause.

In case you have any family history of breast or ovarian cancer then you must go for genetic counseling also.

|