Q. Found a hard nonmobile lump under my nipple. Is that an usual spot of breast cancer?

Dr. Arshad Hussain Shah
Published on Jan 15, 2019

I am a 25-year-old female. I found a quarter-sized hard nonmobile lump under my nipple a day ago. Is that an usual spot to get breast cancer?

Dr. Arshad Hussain Shah

Medical Oncology
#

It is usually uncommon to have breast cancer in this age group. It looks most likely a benign breast lesion or a localized infection.

You have not given many details about this lump such as skin or nipple color change, any nipple discharge, whether you are married/unmarried or breastfeeding mother, any family history of breast or ovarian cancer which may be helpful in identifying high-risk breast lumps.

Nothing to worry about, but it is recommended to visit a mammalogist or a General surgeon and let them examine this breast lesion. If needed they will put you on close follow up or investigate further with ultrasound breast or MRI breast.

The significant risk factors for developing breast cancer are.

1. A family history of breast cancer.2. Obesity.3. Certain genetic syndromes.4. Any previous breast lump.5. Hormone replacement therapy, history of estrogen intake.6. Early menarche or late menopause.

In case you have any family history of breast or ovarian cancer then you must go for genetic counseling also.

Why am I having pain from my breast to the armpit?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30 year old female, who weighs 130 lbs and 5.3 feet tall. For about 12 days, I have had consistent pain in the outer side of my breast up through my armpit. I have a tingling and slightly numb feeling in my left arm. I did not injure it, as far as I am aware. It started suddenly...  Read Full »

Tips to Prevent Breast Cancer

Article Overview: This article discusses the risk factors and a few tips to prevent breast cancer. Read Article

Dr. Seyed Ali Jazaeri
Preventive Medicine Physician

There are a few risk factors that make you more susceptible to get breast cancer, which cannot always be prevented. But, there are things you can do that might lower your risk. Breast cancer risk factors mean anything that affects your chance of getting breast cancer. But having a risk factor does n...  Read Article

Left sided abdominal pain

Query: Hello doctor, I am 35 years old, female. I went to the emergency room a few days back. The CT scan was done to check my ovary and when I look at my blood work for the past few years, I was wondering if there was any relation between some of the rising levels especially if anything is not functionin...  Read Full »

Ask a Medical Oncologist Now