Q. Do I need to get stitches for broken glass injury?

This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 28, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 07, 2020

Last night, I accidentally cut my thumb on a bit of broken glass from a photo frame. It looks fairly deep. I think I could see my bone. As I could not go to hospital yesterday night, I have covered it with plasters. Do I need to get stitches?

#

• Yes, the cut wound is deep enough (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and  you will need stitches.
  • Meanwhile, you need to keep the affected area clean and dry.
  • Wash with lukewarm water and apply a topical antibiotic cream like Neosporin (Bacitracin, Neomycin and Polymyxin-B) or Mupirocin over the affected area. Consult a doctor, discuss with him or her and take the treatment with consent.
  • I suggest oral antibiotics to prevent infection in the wound like Zifi 200 (Cefixime) and some oral painkillers like Ibuprofen or Paracetamol to reduce the inflammation and pain.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

There is a hole below my stomach with smelly pus discharging. Help me.

Query: Hello doctor, I have a hole underneath my stomach and it is discharging smelly pus every day. It burst two months ago. It is painful and smelly. Help me.  Read Full »

What medicines can be had for burning sensation in the anus and vagina?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a sensation of burning in the anus and vagina. An ultrasound scan was done and a urine culture was also done. I have a UTI and a Bartholin cyst. The culture grew E. coli. As regards medicines, I have taken Urispas, Candid-V6 for 10 days. I also took Voveran injections...  Read Full »

What Can Cause Sudden Tingling And Itchy Sensation?

Query: Hi doctor, Two months ago I started feeling tingling and itching sensation between my thighs and then up to my chest. I just took the most painful shower ever (warm water). It stung and I wanted to scratch my skin off. At first there was nothing visible, just itching, now you can see red dots here...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»