Q. I had a swollen hard lump in ear which is tender after cleaning. Could this be infected spider bite?

This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 07, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 09, 2020

I noticed a swollen and hard bump on the inside of my ear a few days ago. Yesterday, I noticed it was now soft and squishy almost like a pimple. But today, I touched it and it popped and began to bleed along with some pus. I was not too worried until I took a photo and saw two large holes like a spider bite and the area is a little tender after I cleaned it. Does it sound like it could be an infected spider bite?

#

It could very well be an infected spider bite. It could also be an infected follicle. Anyway, apply some antibiotic cream over it (Bacitracin or Fusiderm or Povidone iodine). Apply twice daily and clean the wound with warm water while bathing. Do not insert anything inside the ear though.

If there are any worrisome changes please contact us. Like color change of rest of pinna, pain, tenderness, swelling, increased redness, spreading of the redness, etc. You may take Tylenol if there is pain. Oral antibiotics are not necessary.

If you suffer from diabetes, hypertension, immunosuppression or cancer we need to be careful. In that case, do let us know.

|