Q. I had a swollen hard lump in ear which is tender after cleaning. Could this be infected spider bite?

This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 07, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 09, 2020

I noticed a swollen and hard bump on the inside of my ear a few days ago. Yesterday, I noticed it was now soft and squishy almost like a pimple. But today, I touched it and it popped and began to bleed along with some pus. I was not too worried until I took a photo and saw two large holes like a spider bite and the area is a little tender after I cleaned it. Does it sound like it could be an infected spider bite?

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

It could very well be an infected spider bite. It could also be an infected follicle. Anyway, apply some antibiotic cream over it (Bacitracin or Fusiderm or Povidone iodine). Apply twice daily and clean the wound with warm water while bathing. Do not insert anything inside the ear though.

If there are any worrisome changes please contact us. Like color change of rest of pinna, pain, tenderness, swelling, increased redness, spreading of the redness, etc. You may take Tylenol if there is pain. Oral antibiotics are not necessary.

If you suffer from diabetes, hypertension, immunosuppression or cancer we need to be careful. In that case, do let us know.

| 

I have ear pain after removing ear wax. Is it serious?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been suffering from ear pain for the last two days and it has become really serious now. The entire right side of my face has gone numb and I am not able to hear properly in my right ear. I can listen to some hissing sound. I remember cleaning my ear with my fingers and tried to...  Read Full »

What is causing recurrent pain behind my ear lobes?

Query: Hello doctor, For almost a week now I have had recurring random pain just behind both of my ear lobes. It has been almost three weeks since I stopped Lyrica, Pregabalin completely for back pain. For the last week I have been experiencing something different which can be best described as random pre...  Read Full »

Why is there severe pain and hearing loss after ear pricking?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from severe ear pain in my left ear. Today is the third day and I cannot hear properly. It resulted due to pricking my ear.  Read Full »

Ask a General Practitioner Now