Q. What could be the reason for persistent fever even after having Paracetamol?

Dr. Prabhakaran Selvam
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

I have a fever for the past five days 101 to 102. I am taking Paracetamol, but still, fever is there. Yesterday platelet was 119000, and today it is 106000.

Eosinophils is 0.6.

Absolute neutrophils are 930.

Absolute Lymphocyte count is 580.

Absolute monocyte count is 50.

What should I do?

Do you have a question on Fever or Antibiotics?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Prabhakaran Selvam

MBBS., MD
Diabetology General Medicine Sonologist

I want to suggest you take antibiotics. You need antibiotic along with other supportive measures. I would like to suggest is,

1) Tablet Mahacef 200 (Cefixime) 1-0-1.

2) Tablet Dolo 650 (Paracetamol) 1-1-1-1.

3) Tablet Pantocid 40 (Pantoprazole) 1-0-0.

And also take only hot water along with a bland diet, reduce spicy, oily and masala foods. Drink a minimum of five liters of water a day. Regarding platelet and other counts, we can wait and watch. Normally even if platelets also drops, nothing to worry, it drops initially and will start to increase automatically. So adequate hydration and antibiotics are enough. Check platelets and get back to me.

Paracetamol for Fever
Query: Hello doctor, Is fever an immune response of the body to act as defense mechanism against infection, why is Paracetamol prescribed to reduce temperature?What will be happen, if not used?  Read Full >>
Dr. Divakara P

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Very much impressed by your query. Yes as you said, fever is an immune response of the body to act as defense mechanism against infection. Most of the time Paracetamol is not needed if body temperature is not crossing >102 degree F. But any temperature >102 degree...  Read Full

Paracetamol tablets for tooth pain
Query: Hello Doctor, Can I take two Amoxicillin 500 tablets for my first dose of medicines for a tooth infection? Is there anything at home that will take the pain away?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you are taking Amoxicillin for your toothache, then let me educate you it is an antibiotic and not a painkiller. So, if you want to kill the pain, I suggest taking a tablet with acombination of Ibuprofen and Paracetamol after meals. The pain will be gone in just 1...  Read Full

What has to be done for fever and chills in 3 years 6 months old child?
Query: Hello doctor, Fever and chills in a child of age 3 years 6 months. A mild cough is also noticed. What can I do?  Read Full >>
Dr. Rajesh Babu
Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Shivering may be because of a highfever, or because of urine infection or malaria. As of now use the below medication. Syrup Crocin DS (Paracetamol) 5 ml/240 mg, 4 ml if fever greater than 100 F every sixth hourly. Sponging with lukewarm water until the fever decreases ...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now