Q. Why am I having frequent eye infection with pus and blood discharge?

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 02, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Since last 7 to 8 months I am having an eye infection, like a stye. It is getting frequent almost after every 3 to 4 weeks. I recollect having collided with somebody about one and half years back, hurt on my right eye with somebody's elbow and had a swollen eye, very painful and under the eye, it is red and swollen. After about 4 to 5 days, it started healing, and gradually I forgot about it. Now with this frequent infection in the same eye after every 3 to 4 weeks which lasts 3 to 5 days, sometimes pus and little blood come out and sometimes it heals without any pus coming out. This time it started with an itch and has gradually swollen and is very itchy and painful and red and swollen inside and outside the eye.

#

This is unrelated to that trauma with the elbow. This is suggestive of lid infection. Try warm compresses, apply an antibiotic ointment like Neosporin H (Bacitracin Zinc and Hydrocortisone acetate) ointment twice daily along lid margins. Once this episode is over then we need to evaluate your lids and lashes carefully as sometimes meibomitis or blepharitis cause recurrent lid infection.

|