Q. Do I need to get a lung biopsy to confirm bronchiectasis?

Dr. Amolkumar W. Diwan
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 12, 2020

I have been referred to a pulmonologist based on the following CT scan report for chronic cough and fatigue. Mild cylindrical bronchiectasis to the lower lung fields with evidence of bronchial wall thickening and mild dilatation. Additionally, ill defined airspace opacities of the extreme right lower lobe most likely reflect infective changes. One small nodule is noted at the peripheral aspect of the left lung base. Mild interstitial thickening at the peripheral right lung base with less pronounced changes on the left. Multiple mildly enlarged glands of the middle mediastinum measure up to 11 mm and may be reactive. Slight prominence of the right hilum. Small anterior pericardial effusion of 6.44 mm. The liver appears enlarged, diffuse hypoattenuation and the liver parenchyma is consistent with fatty liver infiltration. I have also had Bell's palsy in the past. What would you say as the cause of these problems? Do I need lung biopsy?

#

• Your CT scan report is suggestive of cylindrical bronchiectasis with some infective foci.
  • Usually, the diagnosis of bronchiectasis is made on the HRCT thorax (high-resolution computed tomography) and there is no need of any lung biopsy.
  • Bronchiectasis is due to some old infection of the bronchi, which causes recurrent episodes of coughing phlegm and breathlessness on exertion. Usually, a biopsy is not advised for diagnosis.
  • Pericardial effusion is the one that needs detailed investigations to find out the cause.
  • Sputum culture will let us know the exact bacterium and accordingly antibiotics can be prescribed.
  • Inhaler medicines are advised for dyspnea. Also, some chest physiotherapy exercises will help to expel the mucus out of your chest to relieve dyspnea.

For further information consult a pulmonologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmonologist

|