Q. Do I need to get a lung biopsy to confirm bronchiectasis?

Answered by Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Bronchiectasis or Breathlessness? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I have been referred to a pulmonologist based on the following CT scan report for chronic cough and fatigue. Mild cylindrical bronchiectasis to the lower lung fields with evidence of bronchial wall thickening and mild dilatation. Additionally, ill defined airspace opacities of the extreme right lower lobe most likely reflect infective changes. One small nodule is noted at the peripheral aspect of the left lung base. Mild interstitial thickening at the peripheral right lung base with less pronounced changes on the left. Multiple mildly enlarged glands of the middle mediastinum measure up to 11 mm and may be reactive. Slight prominence of the right hilum. Small anterior pericardial effusion of 6.44 mm. The liver appears enlarged, diffuse hypoattenuation and the liver parenchyma is consistent with fatty liver infiltration. I have also had Bell's palsy in the past. What would you say as the cause of these problems? Do I need lung biopsy?