Q. Do I need to get a lung biopsy to confirm bronchiectasis?

I have been referred to a pulmonologist based on the following CT scan report for chronic cough and fatigue. Mild cylindrical bronchiectasis to the lower lung fields with evidence of bronchial wall thickening and mild dilatation. Additionally, ill defined airspace opacities of the extreme right lower lobe most likely reflect infective changes. One small nodule is noted at the peripheral aspect of the left lung base. Mild interstitial thickening at the peripheral right lung base with less pronounced changes on the left. Multiple mildly enlarged glands of the middle mediastinum measure up to 11 mm and may be reactive. Slight prominence of the right hilum. Small anterior pericardial effusion of 6.44 mm. The liver appears enlarged, diffuse hypoattenuation and the liver parenchyma is consistent with fatty liver infiltration. I have also had Bell's palsy in the past. What would you say as the cause of these problems? Do I need lung biopsy?

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan
MBBS., MD PULMONARY MEDICINE., DNB
Allergy Specialist, Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors

• Your CT scan report is suggestive of cylindrical bronchiectasis with some infective foci.
  • Usually, the diagnosis of bronchiectasis is made on the HRCT thorax (high-resolution computed tomography) and there is no need of any lung biopsy.
  • Bronchiectasis is due to some old infection of the bronchi, which causes recurrent episodes of coughing phlegm and breathlessness on exertion. Usually, a biopsy is not advised for diagnosis.
  • Pericardial effusion is the one that needs detailed investigations to find out the cause.
  • Sputum culture will let us know the exact bacterium and accordingly antibiotics can be prescribed.
  • Inhaler medicines are advised for dyspnea. Also, some chest physiotherapy exercises will help to expel the mucus out of your chest to relieve dyspnea.

For further information consult a pulmonologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmonologist

Query: Hello doctor, I have been taking cocaine once a week for 20 years and on the 1st of last month, I started getting a cough and breathless. It was getting worse when the cocaine wore off. Anyway, I had an ECG which was clear and a 24-hour tape also clear. CT scan on lungs clear. Then I had an ultraso...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly, cocaine has got a wide range of effects on the heart. So, hypokinesia means there is some damage to the heart which may be due to cocaine or may be due to coexistent coronary artery disease. So, you will need coronary angiography preferably, conventional and...  Read Full »

Query: Hi doctor, Around three months back, I started to hear a strange noise at night. We live in a village. Apart from the odd barking dog and passing car, it is silent, especially at night. However, I started to hear what sounded like a distant engine, but it never got any closer. It is almost like a dr...  Read Full »
Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would advise you get pure tone audiometry and tympanometry. We will know if you have any hearing loss and pressure changes in your ear. Also, in a few thyroid patients, tinnitus is common. But, you should get the above tests done for a correct diagnosis. If they are fin...  Read Full »

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with IPF last week. My two x-rays, two lung function tests and HRCT scan showing that I had scarring. But I am confused, because I feel better than I have felt in 10 years. I have always smoked and had cough for years. I have been on a diet and have lost one stone so fa...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. IPF (idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis)  is a chronic, progressive and idiopathic disease. It is usually seen in old age. In this lungs become fibrosed, thickened and stiff. So, all capacities are reduced and due to this oxygenation is hampered. Your home tests are within no...  Read Full »

Query: Hi doctor, The patient is oxygen dependent because of pleurodesis since 1 month. She is suffering from breathlessness after talc pleurodesis. She has metastatic breast cancer with distant spread to the lung and liver. There is residual pleural effusion along with bilateral lower lobe consolidation. ...  Read Full »
Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan
Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read all the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) including your CT scan. It is very sad to be in such a situation with multiple problems. Metastatic breast cancer with underlying lung comorbidities is the cause of her breathlessness. Overal...  Read Full »

Query: Hello doctor, I spit blood early in the morning after waking up. I consulted a dentist and then a chest specialist, who advised bronchoscopy and sputum tests. The reports were normal. But, nobody could find the cause for the blood in spit. It is happening from the past two years. Not regularly, but...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The most common causes of early morning blood in the sputum are: Chest infection or tuberculosis. Cardiac issues like rheumatic heart disease. Reflux esophagitis. Now, if your chest has been evaluated and a clearance has been given by your doctor, then my recommendatio...  Read Full »

Can Ovral G be used as an emergency contraceptive pill?
Cold and Flu - Causes | Symptoms | Diagnosis | Treatments
I-Pill - When to Take and Its Side Effects

Also Read Answers From

Ask a Pulmonologist »