Q. I have cough and cold for the past 15 days with breathing difficulty. What can I do to get rid of it?

Dr. Divakara P
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 02, 2020 and last reviewed on: Oct 08, 2020

I am suffering from a cough and cold for the past 15 days. In the past, I used to get cough due to acute pharyngitis, so this time also I went to ENT and got medicines, Azithromycin, CP Maleate, Cetirizine Paracetamol; after using these, I got some relief. But four days back, I went to a camp where I drank the service water in the night due to thirst. From the next morning, I am having a heavy cough and difficulty breathing while talking and walking. Today I visited my doctor, and she gave me the following medicines.

Capsule Amoxicillin Trihydrate 250 mg one tablet four times daily for three days.

Tablet Cetirizine Dihydrochloride one tablet once daily for five days.

Tablet Etophylline 77 mg and Theophylline 23 mg, two tablets twice daily for five days.

Tablet Prednisolone 5 mg. one tablet twice daily for four days.

Tablet Ranitidine 150 mg one tablet twice daily for five days.

Is there any serious issue with me? What should I do now?

#

Thanks for posting your query.

First of all, there is nothing serious to be worried about. I need to know whether your breathing difficulty is mild or severe. Most likely, you have got a repeated throat infection (Pharyngitis) with constriction of airways (bronchospasm). It can be treated easily.

The medication prescribed to you is fine, but I would recommend a different antibiotic, Levofloxacin, instead of Amoxycillin. Also, use a cough syrup like syrup Tusq X (Chlorpheniramine, Guaifenesin, and Phenylephrine). Kindly get this prescription from your doctor and use it.

Do salt water gargling, drink hot water, and avoid citrus fruits and non-veg foods.

I hope this information was useful for you.

Any clarifications, feel free to ask.

My doctor suggested me to take a blood test and x-ray for the chest. The breathing difficulty is mild only, and it is not severe. I am sending the reports of the blood test. Please check whether everything is fine. X-ray reports say that the lungs are clear. Today she gave the following medications for three days. I am sending them also. She said it is only an allergic cough. But now again, I am having a cough and noisy breathing. Current medicines:

Tablet Diethylcarbamazine Citrate 100 mg one tablet thrice daily for seven days.

Tablet Prednisolone 5 mg one tablet twice daily for four days.

#

Noisy breathing indicates bronchitis only. The medications prescribed will correct it, and nothing extra to be done.

| 

Are cold with chest pain and fatigue symptoms of pneumonia?

Query: Hello doctor, I am an 18-year-old female. I have a cold with chest pain, fatigue and difficulty breathing for three days up till now, without physically consulting a doctor. I have had pneumonia last year and I am afraid that I might get again as I am starting to show some symptoms of pneumonia. Sh...  Read Full »

My cough lasted only for a week and the doctor says it is tuberculosis.Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, There is parenchymal infiltrate on the right upper lobe of my lung. My doctor said that I have a ptb3, which looks like a serious stage of tuberculosis. I was shocked because I never had a cough since September. Before the month of September, my cough lasted only for a week and then su...  Read Full »

Bronchitis And COVID-19

Article Overview: Bronchitis is a lung disease. Read this article to know the risk of COVID-19 associated with bronchitis. Read Article

Dr. Lochana
Pulmonologist

What Is COVID-19? COVID-19 has been ruling the world completely. The whole world is clueless about the happenings since the information has been spread about the virus is unpredictable. It has been very frightening to see the fate of countries like Italy and the USA. From a small animal market, it ...  Read Article

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»