Q. I got brown discharge and started on Progesterone. Is there any chance of abortion?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 07, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 24, 2020

I had an ultrasound last week and I just got a few informations. They said that my baby was around 6 weeks and 3 days with a heartbeat and measuring 6 mm but they did not said about the frequency. I had a brownish discharge this week and I did a blood test and the Beta HCG was growing since my last Beta HCG that was on Saturday. I am with a few cramps with progesterone and bed rest because of this brownish discharge. Is there any chance that I may have an abortion? I am very concerned and everyone is freaking out because Covid-19 and they do not want me to have another ultrasound should I need to be concerned?

#

I have seen your reports. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

As of now, you are on the best treatment possible to prevent abortion as your gynecologist has already started you on Progesterone too because of your spotting, which is helpful in supporting the pregnancy.

Yes, definitely having spotting in early pregnancy can pose you for risk of miscarriage but there is nothing more anyone can do that start with progesterone supports, and take good rest. Stay positive and everything should be fine hopefully. Avoid going out unnecessarily as the risk of Covid-19 can be more life-threatening. Once the crisis gets over you can follow up with your gynecologist for a follow up scan to check for the baby's heartbeat.

Bed rest, continue progesterone, avoid intercourse.

|