Q. What are the root causes for blood in urine when pregnant?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 18, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 19, 2019

My wife is eight weeks pregnant and she is seeing blood during urination. Her first delivery was C-section. Our regular doctor two days ago suggested injection and medicines. Even after taking that injection and medicine, she is feeling pain in the abdomen occasionally and blood in the urine. What are the root causes? And how long will it continue? How to confirm that it got cured? Sonography reports at six weeks was normal and eight weeks which is abnormal are attached for your reference. Thank you.

#

After having gone through the ultrasound reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity),

It is evident that your wife had experienced threatened abortion with separation of placenta at the lateral aspect of the gestational sac as evident from the second ultrasound.

Presently, there is a collection behind placenta of 3 x 0.8 cm which is not actively bleeding.

The fetus is alive and growing correspondingly compared to previous scan, hence the doctor must have given her progesterone and hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) injection with advise for complete bed rest to assist supporting pregnancy.

The blood is actually coming from the uterus which is getting mixed with urine primarily.

• This placental separation is actually called an abruptio but has been controlled now.

The most common cause being intercourse or sexual activity in early pregnancy, next being strenuous activity like jumping, running , or even traveling for longer hours.

Presently the pregnancy needs to be watched for two weeks for the growth and the progesterone support with hCG injections has to be continued till 14 weeks of gestation along with bed rest till bleeding is completely stopped.

I am wishing her a safe pregnancy.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

The prescription copy is attached here. We would like to know roughly how much time it will take to cure. Are there any recommendations for food that is diet? And will it pose any danger to baby or mother in the long term or short term?

#

I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

You have been given progesterone and hCG support already and progesterone support should be continued as I mentioned till 14 weeks.

As the pregnancy shall grow so would the placenta and this small clot or retroplacental hemorrhage should get absorbed or calcified.

Your wife should take bed rest for at least a week more from the day the bleeding stops.

There is no particular diet which can help resolve faster, so she may eat what is staple to your culture.

Just continue folic acid and progesterone tablets regularly.

|