Q. My pregnant wife started bleeding after a fall. What should I do?

Dr. Prathap
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 20, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My wife, who is in the first trimester of her pregnancy, slipped on our son's baseball in our garage yesterday and fell. She landed on some workout equipment, which hurt her stomach at a 45o angle at the mid bottom section. She is still in pain, and now she has a bleeding with a discharge of mucus-like blood chunks. She has never bled before with our first child, and I am in need of some immediate guidance.

Dr. Prathap

#

From your description, it appears that there is a cause for concern. It sounds like a threatened abortion to me. You will need to rush her to an obstetrician as soon as possible, to get a scan done, and see the viability of the fetus. Hope everything goes fine and God be with you.

• If the scan shows the viability of the fetus, then nothing to worry, and you can start her on Progesterone SR 200 intravaginal tablets, once every day for supporting her pregnancy, which will decrease her bleeding.
  • But, the major concern here is the viability of the fetus. So, get an ultrasound scan done. Complete bed rest is advised.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

Thank you for replying. How long should she take the Progesterone tablets?

Dr. Prathap

#

Let me give you a bit more detail about the natural process of pregnancy. Progesterone is the hormone that helps to maintain the pregnancy and adapts the uterine musculature to pregnancy. For up to 12 weeks, this is produced by the corpus luteum, and later by the placenta. Threatened miscarriage or abortion is a clinical diagnosis wherein; the fetus should be viable with the cervical os closed.

To make a diagnosis, you need a vaginal examination to see the status of the os. As long as the cervical os is closed, there is nothing to worry if the fetus is viable on the scan.

Progesterone can be used for any number of days up to the middle of the second trimester. The role of Progesterone in threatened miscarriage is that it supports the natural process of pregnancy, as the natural hormones do.

I suggest you get the following tests done:

1. Vaginal examination.
  2. Ultrasound of the abdomen and pelvis.

Only with this information, I can give the definitive diagnosis.

Revert with more information to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

What are the possible types of miscarriage during initial days of pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor,What type of miscarriage is possible during the first six weeks? What are the expected symptoms?  Read Full »

Can Epilim cause bleeding during pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 13 weeks pregnant. I am on 800 mg Epilim per day that is 400 mg in the morning and 400 mg at night. I have had threatened miscarriage and more spotting. Can Epilim cause bleeding in pregnancy?  Read Full »

I am pregnant and peeing blood. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is eight weeks pregnant and she is seeing blood during urination. Her first delivery was C-section. Our regular doctor two days ago suggested injection and medicines. Even after taking that injection and medicine, she is feeling pain in the abdomen occasionally and blood in the ur...  Read Full »