Q. Is brownish discharge a sign of infertility?

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 31, 2020

I am 22 years old. I am not sexually active. I had my periods on the 15th of last month and on 29th I had spotting with some blood. After that, I am experiencing brown discharge. It has been three days now. Please help me.

#

• If this is the first time you are facing this problem, then there is nothing to worry about.
  • This could be because of stress, strain, anxiety, work pressure, change of place, a change in climate or low blood count.
  • Just take rest, have healthy food and drink plenty of fluids. Take iron-rich foods like spinach, green leafy vegetables, groundnut and jaggery.
  • If it happens again in the next period, then will get a few tests done.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

But, this is not the first time. Two months ago, I had brown discharge three days before periods and last month I had some discharge one day before my periods. Last year, I had the same problem. I was spotting 10 to 15 days after my periods. I consulted a doctor and she prescribed me Norgest tablets for three months and I got rid of this. I am really worried about this. Should I meet doctor immediately or wait for next month?

#

• Please get yourself checked by a gynecologist.
  • Get a complete blood count and thyroid profile done. Also, get a pelvic scan done to rule out the exact cause.
  • I really do not think there is something to be alarmed about, but since you are anxious it is better you get this done. Do get back to me with the reports, so that I can guide you further.

I forgot to add that I do not find any pain in my stomach, but my thigh pain sometimes. Also, I am concerned about a few questions. Can this be any sign of infertility? Or is the reason a kind of cyst? What if I have sex? Will the problem get increased? Should I wait for my periods to come to observe any abnormality, although they are regular so far?

#

• Pain in thighs could be because of stress, strain, weakness and vitamin deficiency. Start with calcium supplements.
  • This is non-specific for fertility at all. You can have sex, but take care of contraceptive measures.

|