Q. Is brownish discharge a sign of infertility?

Answered by
Dr. Neha Singh Rathod
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 31, 2020

Hi doctor,

I am 22 years old. I am not sexually active. I had my periods on the 15th of last month and on 29th I had spotting with some blood. After that, I am experiencing brown discharge. It has been three days now. Please help me.



Welcome to 

  • If this is the first time you are facing this problem, then there is nothing to worry about.
  • This could be because of stress, strain, anxiety, work pressure, change of place, a change in climate or low blood count.
  • Just take rest, have healthy food and drink plenty of fluids. Take iron-rich foods like spinach, green leafy vegetables, groundnut and jaggery.
  • If it happens again in the next period, then will get a few tests done.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online -->

Thank you doctor,

But, this is not the first time. Two months ago, I had brown discharge three days before periods and last month I had some discharge one day before my periods. Last year, I had the same problem. I was spotting 10 to 15 days after my periods. I consulted a doctor and she prescribed me Norgest tablets for three months and I got rid of this. I am really worried about this. Should I meet doctor immediately or wait for next month?



Welcome back to

  • Please get yourself checked by a gynecologist.
  • Get a complete blood count and thyroid profile done. Also, get a pelvic scan done to rule out the exact cause.
  • I really do not think there is something to be alarmed about, but since you are anxious it is better you get this done. Do get back to me with the reports, so that I can guide you further.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online -->

Thank you doctor,

I forgot to add that I do not find any pain in my stomach, but my thigh pain sometimes. Also, I am concerned about a few questions. Can this be any sign of infertility? Or is the reason a kind of cyst? What if I have sex? Will the problem get increased? Should I wait for my periods to come to observe any abnormality, although they are regular so far?



Welcome back to

  • Pain in thighs could be because of stress, strain, weakness and vitamin deficiency. Start with calcium supplements.
  • This is non-specific for fertility at all. You can have sex, but take care of contraceptive measures.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
My daughter has cough. Shall I give her Dexona?

.. CBC (complete blood count) and a chest x-ray before starting Dexona (Dexamethasone) as it is a steroid. Also, there may be a history of childhood asthma (hyper-reactive airway disease) and it is better to be sure before giving this medicine. This ...   Read full

From the attached reports, please tell me the reason for frequent urination.

If these tests are positive, then you will need a water deprivation test for a day, which will confirm that it is diabetes insipidus ...  This condition is called as diabetes insipidus ...   Read full

My TSH - 5.96, free T3 - 2.49, free T4 - 0.76, Age 33.Do I need thyroid medicine?

when i went to the washroom at school today to pee and when i wiped myself my vagina there was green slimy stuff and its the first time it has happened and im a virgin   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Management of Coronasomnia
Coronasomnia refers to increased sleep problems among people during the COVID-19 pandemic. Read the below article to get...  Read more»
Balantidiasis - Causes, Signs and Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Balantidiasis is a rare bacterial infection caused by a parasite called Balantidium coli. Read the article below to know...  Read more»
JAK Inhibitors in Treating Rheumatoid Arthritis
Doctors mainly suggest JAK or Janus kinase inhibitors for patients with rheumatoid arthritis to ease their symptoms. Rea...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.