Q. My daughter has cough. Shall I give her Dexona?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
Published on Jan 14, 2017

My 5 year old daughter is suffering from a cough and mild fever for the last four days. Doctor prescribed with LCF Syrup and Azithral Syrup, but she is still coughing. Today, when she was sleeping, we heard cracking and wheezing sound and difficulty in breathing. Shall I give her Dexona?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics
#

• Please do CBC (complete blood count) and a chest x-ray before starting Dexona (Dexamethasone) as it is a steroid. Also, there may be a history of childhood asthma (hyper-reactive airway disease) and it is better to be sure before giving this medicine.
  • This mostly looks like hyper-reactive airway disease for which the initial treatment is a common cough and cold medicines. If this does not reduce, then you should add Dexona or even better Hydrocortisone.
  • Later on, you should add Montelukast and if this also does not take care of the issue, then nebulization with Duolin (Salbutamol and Ipratropium) and Budecort (Budesonide) is advised.
  • The last drug route of choice is inhalers. These are the steps involved in the treatment and control of hyper-reactive airway disease. This treatment plan should be made by a physician in person after detailed evaluation.
  • As of now, you can use Dexona, but with the consent of the physician and after the tests that I told you so that we can be sure that there is no infection.
  • Please note that hyper-reactive airway disease is an age bound process and usually resolves by the age of 8 years. Sometimes, very rarely, it may last up to 12 years. The medicines explained to you above only help in controlling the disease and they do not cure it.

For further information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

What is Montair LC Kid used for?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is 3 years and seven months old. She is a healthy kid. After two and a half years, we observed that she repeatedly catches a cold and cough. The cold lasts for more than two weeks followed by a cough. Her under eye becomes dark. She breathes with her mouth and keeps her...  Read Full >>

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This looks like a case of hyper reactive airway disease. You will need to use the Budecort inhaler (Budesonide) continuously and observe. The Asthalin inhaler (Salbutamol) will need to be given if there is a cough or cold for a week. Continue Montair LC Kid (Monteluka...  Read Full

How to cure my father's severe cold and cough?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is 66 years old. He is having severe cough and cold for more than a month. He took Clavam 625 mg for five days. Along with that, he also took Foracort 200 mcg inhaler twice a day and Nasonex inhaler twice a day, but there was no relief. Then, our chest specialist suggested Neb...  Read Full >>

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan
Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your father is suffering from bronchial asthma. The current medications Foracort 200 mcg inhaler (Budesonide and Formoterol) and Nasonex (Mometasone) nasal spray were given for asthma. As there is no relief even after taking tablet Clavam (Amoxicillin and Clavulanate)...  Read Full

Is Levolin inhaler safe to use in kids?

Query: Hello doctor, My physician has always suggested Budecort 100 mcg for my kid for four years and Levolin inhaler along with Montair LC kids tablet daily and some cough syrup since he is allergic. He is having a dry cough and Altacef is given sometimes if worse. The doctor in...  Read Full >>

Dr. Baratu Bhaisara
Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems your doctor is trying to control acute attacks of asthma which is right. I suggest the following: Focus on controlling attacks by avoiding stimulators like dust, sudden exposure to hot and cold weather, keep away from pets. Educate your son about the sam...  Read Full