Q. There is brown spotting a week before periods. Is it a sign of pregnancy?

Dr. Sree Gouri Sr
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 28, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 12, 2020

I took an I-pill after 48 hours of intercourse. Now I am experiencing brown spotting a week before my periods. Is it a sign of pregnancy?

Dr. Sree Gouri Sr

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

As you took an emergency contraceptive pill within 48 hours of intercourse, you can expect around 75 % protection towards pregnancy. The protection rate decreases with a delay in the intake of pill from intercourse.

The spotting you had could be due to withdrawal effect of the pill or rarely may be because of implantation bleeding. So, to be sure, if you miss regular bleeding during your expected date of periods, please go for urine pregnancy test once.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|