What is bruise and how to treat it?

Q. I have discoloration of skin over my arm. Kindly help with the treatment.

Answered by
Dr. Basuki Nath Bhagat
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 09, 2021

Hi doctor,

I got an injury over my arm before three days. I am having discoloration of skin now. I have attached the pictures of my injured site for your kind reference.

Kindly help me to know, what is bruise?



Welcome to icliniq.com.

Sorry for the injury over the arm. I saw the picture of your injury (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

You mention that it is three days old injury. If it is a fresh bruise, I suggest you apply an ice pack wrapped in cloth for 20 to 30 minutes. It constricts blood vessels and helps reduce swelling also. After two to three days, you should apply warmth in the form of a warm washcloth over the bruise for about ten minutes, two to three times a day. It dilates blood vessels, increases blood flow, and makes the color of the bruised skin fade. Always keep the arm elevated. I suggest you take tablet Ibuprofen or Paracetamol if there is associated pain. Apply Arnica ointment (Arnica montana) or vitamin K cream. It helps in a bruise.

Typically it takes around two weeks to disappear usually.

I hope this helps you.


Hi doctor,

Thanks for responding.

I just now noticed that a complete picture of my injury has not been sent, so I have attached them again. Does the image posted now have anything new, or still the same reply?

Kindly help.



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

I saw the second image, and it is just a little zoomed in. I would suggest the same as above.

You can apply Thrombophob gel (Benzyl nicotinate and Heparin). This gel helps to dissolve the bruise and gives speedy recovery. Just be sure with the timing of the bruise, whether to apply ice cold or warm application over the bruise.

If it is not going or fading away as expected, please visit a local doctor for guidance and treatment.


Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Please suggest homeopathy remedies for severe hair fall.

Use Arnica hair oil and Arnica shampoo (SBL company) regularly ...   Read full

My mother had a bruise and a bump on her arm after giving blood for the test. Could it be hematoma?

.. have reviewed your query and attached images as well. You are having superficial thrombophlebitis most likely as per given history and attached image. It can be most likely due to a technical error during collection.   Read full

What causes heavy hair fall post C-section delivery?

So I took Lycopodium 15 drops twice a day for 15 days and simultaneously used a mixture of Jaborandi, Amla, and Arnica with coconut oil ... Arnica mother tincture 10 drops in coconut oil (amount   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.