Bruise

I have a bruise on my arm after plasma transfusion. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a really bad bruise on my arm after giving plasma. I think it might be a blood clot. I am an 18 year old male.  Read Full »

Dr. Nagaraj Patil

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician, Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. By looking at the picture and history provided (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I think it is a small dispersed hematoma because of leakage of blood from the blood vessels. As it has happened at the site of venepuncture, it is mainly because of inadequate...  Read Full »

A huge dark bruise and a bump formed on my mother's arm after blood drawn for test. Is this hematoma?

Query: Hello doctor, One week ago, my mother had a CBC done, and the results were all perfectly normal. However, the lab forgot to order a peripheral smear review (which her doctor requested). So a week later, the CBC was repeated with a smear. Oddly, the results of this new CBC were, Low WBC. Low RBC....  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to the icliniq.com. I have reviewed your query and attached images as well. You are having superficial thrombophlebitis most likely as per given history and attached image. It can be most likely due to a technical error during collection. However, your low red blood cell count, low ...  Read Full »

Why am I getting bruises on my legs often?

Query: Hi doctor, I keep getting bruises on both of my legs and they are in different colors. I have not banged recently and I do not know the reason. What can it be? I am regularly using an inhaler for asthma.  Read Full »

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Easy bruisability is not an uncommon complaint and has multiple causes for it. As a baseline, you would need to undergo a panel of investigations to know regarding the status of your bleeding and clotting profile. Reasons can vary from simple normal skin tendency to vitam...  Read Full »

Is it normal for an ankle to swell and look bruised after a year of an ankle sprain?

Query: I am having some concerning issues with my ankle right now. I had a sprain ankle in this ankle a year ago, I did not really properly let it heal and have had some minor pain and popping in that ankle. I can sometimes even feel my tendons rub up against my bone. I did not really care until that pain ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sreenivasa Rao

Physiotherapist

Answer: Hello, I read your concern.. In my opinion you might have some imbalances due to improper healing of ankle... Leading to loading of other structures around the ankle. You could have shared the scan report to give us more insight of your injury... As it is difficult to conclude what actually could ...  Read Full »

Do you think my mom has some blood disorder?

Query: Hi doctor, I am concerned that my mother may have an undiagnosed blood disorder. Can you let me know if her symptoms are anything that can be related any blood disorder? She is 54 years old. Her weight is 65 kg. There is no history of cardiac problem or diabetes. She is relatively healthy and eats a...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: There appears to be no hematologic disorder as tests are normal (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Swelling in the legs could be due to varicose veins, causing fluid accumulation. Central retinal vein occlusion...  Read Full »

I have bruise on my tricep area and it is getting bigger. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 28-year-old male. I have a bruise on my tricep area with a hard bump in the middle. The bruise has gotten bigger and it has been there for three to four days. Please help. I am currently taking Adderall.  Read Full »

Dr. Prakashkumar P Bhatt

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician, Neurologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Yes, there is wedge shape hyperpigmented bruise over dorsum of the forearm and its color changes with time probably you had subtle trauma over that part. Is it paining or itching? Any trivial ...  Read Full »

Why does my son get some blood clot like black spot while playing?

Query: Hi doctor, My 14 year old son gets some blood clot and black spot while playing. It used to stay for a few days, but this time it has been there for the past two weeks. He also has some pain on the spots. His BT 1 minutes, CT 4 minutes 15 seconds and albumin protein is 5 g per 100 mL. My son used Pi...  Read Full »

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Those black spots witnessed following injury are bruises or hematoma that occurs due to bleeding into the tissue under the skin. The remarkable feature of this is changing their color from black to red to green before they disappear. They are tender, painful and may b...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for swelling and bruising caused by gymnastics?

Query: Hi doctor, I did some gymnastics on the trampoline and landed on it funny. Then, it started to hurt painfully. Now, it has bruised and swollen. I can only bend it backwards and not forward. Could you please help me?  Read Full »

Dr. Srikanth Nara

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The image you sent (attachment removed to protect patient identity) shows that there is a bruise over the metacarpophalangeal joint that is at the base of your fingers. You might not be able to move it in all directions because of hematoma in that region or some tendon o...  Read Full »

How to treat an itchy bruise due to insect bite in a diabetic?

Query: Hello doctor, Patient is a 59-year-old diabetic, having a rash on the knee probably insect bite from a bush. It is itchy and looks like a bruise. The rash is present for about a week. Patient is currently on Janumet 50/1g, Alkaline 24, and Spirulina capsules.   Read Full »

Dr. Sneha Mariam Varghese

Venereologist, Dermatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your history, it is unclear what your concern is. It would advise you to attach a photo to guide you better. Since you are a diabetic, there might be slow healing and that is why a suspected insect bite rash is persisting. You can apply Fusidic acid cream tw...  Read Full »

Please suggest ways to improve serum iron levels.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 35 year old female. I have been experiencing a rigorous hair fall. I am also feeling tired and dizzy. My skin and hair has become very rough and dry. Also the blood loss during periods is excessive. I got my blood tests done six months back and my serum iron was 36. My doctor had ...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query and reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), my opinion is as follows: Serum iron has improved and is almost near normal. The body is using up iron to prepare RBC (red blood cell) and in other activities. Hence, improvement of serum i...  Read Full »