Q. I burned myself with a curling iron. Will it leave a scar?

This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 17, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 09, 2019

I burned myself with a curling iron. It did not appear bad at first but a scab is forming. Will the burn leave a scar?

#

I have gone through the clinical images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It appears to be a superficial burn but there is a risk of a superficial scar. It will not be very prominent and can go with time as you grow.

I suggest you apply some ointment like Polysporin (Polymixin and Bacitracin) twice a day for early healing, prevention of infection and subsequent prevention of scarring. Usually, burns which heal within 10 to 14 days hardly leave any scar.

Do not apply any steroid-containing ointment. I suggest you get yourself examined by a local dermatologist for better care.

Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Why is a scab forming if it is a surface-level burn?

#

More appropriately, it appears to be a superficial partial thickness burn where along with epidermis, some parts of the dermis is damaged. However, the exact depth of the burn can be known from examination only. This becomes evident after 24 to 48 hours which happened in your case.

Initially, there is no blistering, there is some damage to blood vessels as well, leading to accumulation of plasma, proteins and some cells which leads to scab formation. As I said, scarring is not usual, but some amount of pigmentation may persist which may minimize with time. All the best.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|