Q. Is burning sensation common after peeling treatment for acne?

Answered by Dr. Atishay Bukharia and medically reviewed by Dr. Sneha Kannan

Do you have a question on Chemical Peels or Sunscreen? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

About 3 weeks ago, I was prescribed Retin-A 0.5% and Acticlate for an unusual breakout on my forehead by my dermatologist. The anaesthetician who also took a look at my face recommended Glytone PA chemical peel to help treat some discoloration that the acne had caused. I went in to see her today and the peel she did initially cause extreme burning. I left the office with a little edema under both my eyes and by the end of the night, now, my skin looks like I have 2nd to 3rd-degree burning. But, it does not hurt. When I reached out to her and sent pictures, she said it was normal. She said there was no need to and that my skin would peel and heal in about 7 days. I look horrible and I am so afraid that I have permanently damaged my skin. I made an appointment with a different doctor tomorrow. Your advice would be greatly appreciated.