Q. Is burning sensation common after peeling treatment for acne?

Published on Jan 20, 2016 and last reviewed on: Mar 30, 2019

About 3 weeks ago, I was prescribed Retin-A 0.5% and Acticlate for an unusual breakout on my forehead by my dermatologist. The anaesthetician who also took a look at my face recommended Glytone PA chemical peel to help treat some discoloration that the acne had caused. I went in to see her today and the peel she did initially cause extreme burning. I left the office with a little edema under both my eyes and by the end of the night, now, my skin looks like I have 2nd to 3rd-degree burning. But, it does not hurt. When I reached out to her and sent pictures, she said it was normal. She said there was no need to and that my skin would peel and heal in about 7 days. I look horrible and I am so afraid that I have permanently damaged my skin. I made an appointment with a different doctor tomorrow. Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Plastic Surgery – Reconstructive And Cosmetic Venereology
#

She is right, and these are common post peel effect.

By looking at your photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I can tell that in your condition medicines are very unlikely to effect and chemical peeling and lasers are the only options.

Glycolic acid is considered a very safe peel. Ask her to use it from very low concentration and gradually increase the concentration so that the tolerance could develop against that peel.

It requires three to four sessions at least to get the visible result.

Always take post peel precautions like avoid sun exposure, sunscreen, and emollients, in rare cases use Hydrocortisone if there is a frank injury.

Exfoliation of skin is a normal event after the procedure; that is why it is known as peeling. So, I would advise you to stick to the same doctor and follow his or her advice.

Can I use Kojivit cream to improve my complexion?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a wheatish complexion. Can you please suggest if I can use Kojivit cream for skin lightening?  Read Full >>

Dr. Rashmi Singh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, you can use Kojivit gel (Kojic acid) safely daily. But, it only removes extra tan from your skin. You can try using a Glycolic acid based face wash for better results of skin lightening. Make sure that you apply sunscreen every 5-6 hours. You can also g...  Read Full

Kindly suggest a face wash, sunscreen lotion and overnight cream for oily skin.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25 year old boy and my face is very oily during summer while in winters it is quite dry. In summers, a lot of oil pops out with white heads on my face. Even a short-term sun exposure tans my skin. I am also suffering from the problem of dark spots. Kindly suggest a face wash, su...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Ahaglow (alpha hydroxy acid) face wash can be used to wash the face. La shield sunscreen can be used in the morning as it is non-comedogenic. Please upload an image of your face, so that depending on the skin type, pigmentation, and acne, medications can be suggest...  Read Full

I have severe acne problem. It is increasing by the day. can you suggest some medicines?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 30-year-old male. I am facing severe acne problem. I am currently using Doxy-1 L-DR Forte Capsule two times a day since 20 days and Persol-plus gel at night and Ahaglow-S face wash. Also, Aziderm cream 20 % and Cetaphil as a moisturizer. But it is painful and with pus. Sometimes, ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. All the medications you are on are right. I agree with your treating doctor. Peeling is a procedure where fruit-concentrated extracts are used, such as Glycolic acid and many other (Salicylic acid) which help reduce the activity of the sebaceous glands and in turn...  Read Full