Q. I have third degree burns in right hand with heaviness and pain while letting down. Please help.

Dr. Doshi Chirag
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 03, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 15, 2020

I am a third-degree burns survivor. I was three weeks in the hospital before being discharged in the last week of November. My right arm is the one badly hit by the fire. It was a cooking gas explosion that splashed red oil over my body. It is over six months now after my discharge and I have a thick black painful scar from my right arm to my hand. I am also fighting contracture. My doctors think I should let the healing take its full course before anything can be done. The pain is much and the fight against contracture is intense. I am no medication, only apply honey and Dermazin cream on it. I have also stopped taking painkillers. I have serious itching also and it causes me sleepless nights sometimes. I feel slight heaviness when I let the hand down. I have to make a fist if the hand has to be downward.

#

As I saw in the history and clinical photograph (attachment removed to protect patient identiy) that you had suffered severe almost third or fourth-degree burn with a scar and you have a lot of difficulties owing to it. It is almost six months and I think within a few days once COVID infection comes to a standstill you can go ahead with the definite surgery of eschar excision and grafting which might decrease your pain and trouble.

Since most of the cases owing to pain and immobility the limb gets into state of contracture so I recommend you to do some kind of physiotherapy and exercise to prevent it. You can definitely go and consult a plastic surgeon and go ahead but I recommend you to wait for some months since due to Coronavirus there are high chance of hospital-acquired infection. You may take painkillers like Tramadol when pain is intense.

|