Q. I have third degree burns in right hand with heaviness and pain while letting down. Please help.

Answered by
Dr. Doshi Chirag
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 03, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 15, 2020

Hi doctor,

I am a third-degree burns survivor. I was three weeks in the hospital before being discharged in the last week of November. My right arm is the one badly hit by the fire. It was a cooking gas explosion that splashed red oil over my body. It is over six months now after my discharge and I have a thick black painful scar from my right arm to my hand. I am also fighting contracture. My doctors think I should let the healing take its full course before anything can be done. The pain is much and the fight against contracture is intense. I am no medication, only apply honey and Dermazin cream on it. I have also stopped taking painkillers. I have serious itching also and it causes me sleepless nights sometimes. I feel slight heaviness when I let the hand down. I have to make a fist if the hand has to be downward.



Welcome to

As I saw in the history and clinical photograph (attachment removed to protect patient identiy) that you had suffered severe almost third or fourth-degree burn with a scar and you have a lot of difficulties owing to it. It is almost six months and I think within a few days once COVID infection comes to a standstill you can go ahead with the definite surgery of eschar excision and grafting which might decrease your pain and trouble.

Since most of the cases owing to pain and immobility the limb gets into state of contracture so I recommend you to do some kind of physiotherapy and exercise to prevent it. You can definitely go and consult a plastic surgeon and go ahead but I recommend you to wait for some months since due to Coronavirus there are high chance of hospital-acquired infection. You may take painkillers like Tramadol when pain is intense.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
My father has fever as well as cold hands and feet after a long flight. Please advise.

.. me know your health query. Revert with more information to an internal medicine physician online --> .. ...   Read full

COVID-19 and Other Seasonal Co-Infections

Diarrhea ...   Read full

I feel chest burns and abnormal heartbeat after smoking. Is it a heart disease?

Regarding your current symptoms, likely possibility is of gastritis and reflux disease ...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Management of Coronasomnia
Coronasomnia refers to increased sleep problems among people during the COVID-19 pandemic. Read the below article to get...  Read more»
Balantidiasis - Causes, Signs and Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Balantidiasis is a rare bacterial infection caused by a parasite called Balantidium coli. Read the article below to know...  Read more»
JAK Inhibitors in Treating Rheumatoid Arthritis
Doctors mainly suggest JAK or Janus kinase inhibitors for patients with rheumatoid arthritis to ease their symptoms. Rea...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a General Surgeon Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.