C-reactive Protein

What causes high WBC count in a child?

Query: Hi doctor, My 4 year son is ill for past two weeks. Initially it was diagnosed as viral infection due to season change. He was given fever and cold medicine (Asthaline). Fever was mostly between 100-101 degree F.  He had occasional cough may be five times a day. He had the medicine for 5 days but t...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your child has definitely got bacterial infection. From your attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) the reasons are as follows. His initial CRP (C-reactive protein) was 17.3 which has came down to 10.3. CRP is an acute phase reactant which indic...  Read Full »

Can my 3 year old son lead a normal life after sepsis?

Query: Hi doctor, My 3 year old son was diagnosed with sepsis with SIRS, three days back. But, now his WBC and C-reactive protein are within limits. Will he have sepsis again? He frequently gets wheezing and allergic cough. He is currently taking Amclav.  Read Full »

Dr. Payas Joshi

Child Health Specialist, General Practitioner, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sepsis means infection in the blood. If the investigations like CBC (complete blood count), urine culture, blood culture, CRP (C-reactive protein) are normal, it means that the child has been treated for this infection. Usually, this happens because of infecti...  Read Full »

Is my lower abdominal pain pointing towards Crohn's disease?

Query: Hi doctor, I had severe abdominal pain with diarrhea a month back. The next day pain subsided, but slight discomfort was there for two weeks. Then, I went to see the doctor who prescribed Flagyl and Rifamixin. The lower abdominal discomfort did not disappear and the stool has not formed yet. Then r...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and post, the thing which is favoring Crohn's disease is normal biopsy colonoscopy. You need to do ASCA (anti-saccharomyces cerevisiae antibodies) and a CT enterography. Your CRP (C-reactive ...  Read Full »

Does recurrent high fever cause any serious issue in old people?

Query: Hi doctor, My father suffered from high fever over last week and he was alright. But today again he is feeling a mild rise in his temperature. Is this anything serious?  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I want to assure you that do not worry as everything is going to be fine soon. I have thoroughly gone through your case and can well understand your genuine concerns.  Read Full »

Why is there sudden raise in CRP levels in my child although no signs are present?

Query: Hello doctor, Is it possible for C-reactive protein level to raise from 6 to 15.9 in 24 hours in my child, although there are no signs of sepsis?  Read Full »

Dr. Sirisha

Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. C-reactive protein (CRP) is a marker of infection and inflammation anywhere in the body. It takes at least six hours for CRP to raise in the blood, once the infection starts and it continues to raise up to 24 hours at least. Though there are no signs of infection clini...  Read Full »

I am suffering from knee pain, loss of appetite, and vitamin B12 deficiency. Please help me.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 37 year old male, and  I am suffering from knee pain, loss of appetite, fatigue, lack of interest, vitamin B12 deficiency, and my tooth enamel has eroded. I am taking Losar 50 for high blood pressure from six years. And from the last five years, I am also taking medicines fo...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You might have developed knee osteoarthritis, which is a wear and tear of the joints, because of excessive weight on the weight bearing joints. This mostly occurs with advancing age, but these days it is not uncommon to find it in young obese individuals. I would advise y...  Read Full »

Will high platelet count cause a blood clot or stroke?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother has high WBC count of 15,000, platelet count of 5,40,000, and hemoglobin at 11.2. Her ESR is 86, and CRP is also similar. She has a fever, which rises in the evening to 101. Can you please tell me what this denotes? Also, will the high platelet count cause a danger for a bl...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. High platelet count will not lead to thrombosis in the body. Do not worry about that. High platelet is because of reactive thrombocytosis, and that can occur in bleeding, anemia, infection, inflammation, etc. You have an ulcer in the colon, and it seems to be ulcerative...  Read Full »

Is Adfar injection a better treatment option for ankylosing spondylitis?

Query: Hello doctor, My husband is suffering from ankylosing spondylitis, and he is under treatment since last year. His doctor has now suggested Adfrar 40 injections along with physiotherapy and belt. The doctor has also suggested halting swimming until further instructions. I am looking for a second opi...  Read Full »

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and his disease does look quite severe. Developing a compression fracture is an indication that the disease activity is high. The reason for stopping exercises would be the fracture itse...  Read Full »

I would like to get a proper diagnosis regarding my high hs-CRP.

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from iron depletion. My iron is low, but ferritin and hemoglobin are normal. My folic acid was 4 about a year ago. I took Folic acid tablets for two months and it is normal now. My vitamin D has improved after taking tablets. My vitamin B12 is also on lower side. I am mar...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query and after going through your reports (attachments removed to protect patient identity), my opinion is as follows: C-reactive protein (CRP) levels are a bit high indicating mild inflammation. This value is suggestive of high cardiac risk. Your cholester...  Read Full »

I am always extremely tired and sleepy, and have short-term memory loss. Can I take Modafinil?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 34 years old mom of a 5 year old. I am excessively tired and have a need to sleep at all times. I had CBC done, and my eosinophils are high, and my MPV is low, but everything else came back fine. My body aches, and I feel horrible. I have bruises that appear out of nowhere all ove...  Read Full »

Dr. Anshuman Srivastava

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The symptoms which you described are suggestive of hematological disorder, which can explain both easy fatigability and bruises. You need to get your coagulation profile tested, and peripheral smear for any abnormal cell. Get ANA (antinuclear antibody) and CRP (C-reactive...  Read Full »