Q. Had cesarean delivery. When can I resume my sex life?

This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 26, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 02, 2021

I had a cesarean delivery just two months back. From when can I resume my sex life with my husband? Could you please advice on that?

#

We usually advise our patients to be active immediately. You can have sex from six weeks onwards, but avoid a pregnancy till 2 years.

After the cesarean delivery, your superficial wounds and deep wounds heal fast. But, the healing of uterine wound will take some time.

You are now breast feeding. So, have any of the contraceptives like condom or Copper-T or Cerazette (Desogestrel) tablets daily or Depo MPA (Medroxyprogesterone acetate) injections once in three months. The last two are the best as they increase milk production and no periods.

When you are breast feeding, the periods may not occur at all or irregular. So, do not use these dates to calculate safe periods to have sex.

The time of 2 years is needed to replace your lost iron, proteins, and energy. All the best.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|