Q. What is the significance of an elevated CA-19 tumor marker?

Dr. Rajesh Kumar Padhan
This is a premium question & answer published on May 08, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 17, 2021

I have a question regarding the significance of an elevated CA-19 tumor marker. I recently had one and that came back as 43 (per laboratory should have been under 34). I do not have cancer and I am wondering what else could cause this elevation? Please help.

#

• CA 19-9 (cancer antigen) is a tumor marker, but it can be elevated in healthy individual.
  • It can be elevated in benign conditions like pancreatitis, cirrhosis, thyroid disease and inflammatory bowel disease.
  • It can be elevated in various gastrointestinal malignancies like gastric cancer, pancreatic cancer and colorectal cancer.
  • If you are asymptomatic like no history of weight loss and anorexia then no need to worry.
  • If you have worried symptoms like significant weight loss and anorexia then you need evaluation.

CBC (complete blood count), LFT (liver function test) and USG (ultrasonography) of abdomen.

Revert back after the tests to a medical gastroenterologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

I will follow up with my PCP as I do have some symptoms. I have a history of ulcers and gastritis and I am wondering if that could cause an elevation. I have also read that reduced lung function can cause it. Is that true? I have a paralyzed diaphragm from nerve damage sustained during heart surgery and as a result my lung capacity is only about 60 percent.

#

• History of ulcer, gastritis and reduced lung function does not cause elevation of CA 19-9.

For further doubts consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

|