Anorexia

I am struggling hard with bulimia and binge eating. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor,I am a 17 year old female struggling hard with bulimia and binge eating. My mom is anorexic, and so is my grandmother. I suffered from low weight until I started binging which has been going on for almost a year. I purge sometimes, and I am terrified of how much weight I continue to put on...  Read Full »

Dr. Anil Kumar Kumawat

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to your height, your weight is average. In bulimia, CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) is helpful. If Prozac (Fluoxetine) is not working, then you have to increase the dose of Prozac or shift to another medicine. It is a learning process so that you have to c...  Read Full »

I have poor digestion, bad appetite, and feel nauseous. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 35 year old male, and I am 155 cm tall and weigh 36 kg. I feel that my digestion is very slow from the past 13 years. I am often constipated, and my appetite is bad. I feel nauseous, burp a lot, and find it hard to digest sweet. I tried taking Rabeprazole and enzymes for this pr...  Read Full »

Dr. Ishwar Chandra Rai

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The probable causes of anorexia, heartburn, and dyspepsia are as follows: Eating spicy and fried junk foods.  Excessive smoking and drinking habits. Anxiety. Taking NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) or Aspirin excessively. Consuming cold drinks.  Sometime...  Read Full »

What is the significance of an elevated CA-19 tumor marker?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a question regarding the significance of an elevated CA-19 tumor marker. I recently had one and that came back as 43 (per laboratory should have been under 34). I do not have cancer and I am wondering what else could cause this elevation? Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Rajesh Kumar Padhan

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. CA 19-9 (cancer antigen) is a tumor marker, but it can be elevated in healthy individual. It can be elevated in benign conditions like pancreatitis, cirrhosis, thyroid disease and inflammatory bowel disease. It can be elevated in various gastrointestinal malignancies like...  Read Full »

What is the remedy for anorexia and loss of appetite?

Query: Hello doctor, My elder brother is recently suffering from anorexia and loss of appetite. His blood sugar level is normal and BP is normal too. Grade 1 fatty changes in liver, renal calculi 3.1 mm in size in right calyx, 216 mg of cholesterol and serum TG is high. What will be the remedy for this?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Fatty liver associated with high cholesterol in case of your brother. Can you tell me how much triglycerides level is increased? Lifestyle modification is needed for fatty change. Udiliv (Ursodeoxycholic acid) tablet can be prescribed. Take low fatty foods, fruits ju...  Read Full »

Can I use Metformin for diabetes prevention and weight loss?

Query: Hello doctor, I read over the internet that tablet Metformin helps decrease the weight and prevents the onset of diabetes. Both my parents are diabetics and I weigh 70 kg. Hence, I want to use Metformin for diabetes prevention and weight loss. Yesterday, I took 500 mg and I do not feel any problem...  Read Full »

Dr. Akshay Upadhyay

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I suggest you do not take the tablet if you are not clinically diagnosed as diabetic as it could lead to serious problems. I would strongly advise you to not to take it anymore. To prevent diabetes, one has to change the lifestyle like diet, and have to do exercise or ...  Read Full »

I think I am fat even though I am told I am not. Am I anorexic?

Query: Hello doctor,I have had a loss of appetite and a feeling of nausea after eating for a while now. I also see myself as fat although I have been told I am not. I used to lower the amount of food I ate so that I would not put on weight. I only ate dinner as a way of getting thinner. Does this make me a...  Read Full »

Dr. Chandra Prakash Tanwar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You seem to be suffering from anorexia nervosa as you have been eating less so as not to gain weight, in spite of being told that you are not fat. It is a type of a psychiatric disorder. So, I suggest you consult a psychiatrist regarding this. For your complaints of n...  Read Full »

I am on a diet and not getting regular monthly period. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, Over the last several months, I have been dieting to lose weight that I gained last summer. Though my weight has fluctuated over the months, I have lost approximately 10 lbs. I am also an athlete, and thus I exercise daily. After the first two months of dieting, I noticed that I did no...  Read Full »

Dr. Sweta Singh

Infertility Specialist, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are very underweight, and that is why your menstrual cycles are not coming usually. My advice would be to stop dieting. Follow a regular healthy diet and exercise in moderation. You are nearly anorexic, and that will wreak havoc with your bones and hormones. Just hav...  Read Full »