Q. How long does it take to treat candida albicans?

Dr. Fazil Shajahan

I have been diagnosed with candida albicans in the throat through an endoscopy. I had a sore throat in the beginning and was misdiagnosed and given antibiotics which made things worse. I have been on Nystatin twice a day 5 ml each and Betadine twice a day for two weeks now. I have also taken two tablets of Diflucan 150 mg over the two weeks so one a week. The endoscopy today showed an improvement but not much from last week. Overall the improvement is around 60 to 70 % over the two weeks. How long does it take to treat it and can I take another Diflucan pill? My ENT is against it as he said it is harmful for the liver but my family doctor is saying it is alright and I should take it. Another doctor advised I should take Itraconazole 100 mg twice daily for seven days. I am not sure what to do. Please advise. Thanks.

#

Since already you have been diagnosed with candida infection there is no problem in taking one more tablet of Diflucan if you do not have any other comorbid conditions. If you want you can also try Clotrimazole oral paint for the same. The time taken depends upon your immune status.

You need to rule out other immune compromised situations like diabetes mellitus or any other long-term drugs you are using.

Hope that clears your doubt.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

What do you mean by co-morbid conditions? I do not use any other long-term drugs and I do not have diabetes, I tested for it last week. I also did a CBC and WBC differential and everything is normal including chest X-ray and stool tests. So when do I take the next Diflucan? Should I wait another week? The ENT doctor here did an endoscopy through the nose and said it was Candida albicans but no biopsy, he decided by looking at it. I am also taking Nystatin 5 ml twice weekly. Should I continue that?

#

Co-morbid conditions are any other diseases or conditions you have or you are already taking treatment for. You can take Diflucan 150 mg once a week. You can use Nystatin or Clotrimazole oral paint for local application. Do not have any oral antibiotics, it can increase the condition. Removing the white lesion can cause an ulcer.

|