Even after taking Fluconazole, my genital rashes remains the same. Why?

Q. Why is the rash on my genitals not getting cured even after taking Fluconazole?

Answered by
Dr. Thakare Sampada Avinash
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 09, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jun 21, 2023

Hi doctor,

I have a rash on my genitals from a month. So, I went to a venereologist, who told me to take Fluconazole, one tablet for two weeks. As you can see by the photos attached, the rash is still the same even after a month. Please help me diagnose and treat my rashes.



Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the rash pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It looks like balanitis, which can be due to fungal infection or bacterial infection. The medications given to you were correct. I suggest you try applying Fusidic acid 2 % cream, Miconazole 2 % cream, or Clotrimazole 1 % cream, once daily for 2 to 3 weeks. Maintain personal hygiene, wash the area with warm water. Do not use a lot of soap to clean, and avoid friction. If you are sexually active, does your partner suffer from similar complaint? If yes, then your partner should also be treated. And the white spots are Fordyce's spots, which are basically prominent sebaceous glands and do not need treatment. Check your fasting and postprandial blood sugar levels.

Hi doctor,

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I was treated with Fluconazole pills (not cream) for two weeks, and it is a little strange that till now I have the rash. Today I went to a gynecologist, and he said that I have candida. He said that the virus needs to be killed with restricting diet, like avoid eating bread, pizza, beer, and sugar. Is this normal? I am not convinced. Which specialty doctor should I consult? Or, should I use Fusidic acid 2 % and Miconazole 2 % cream?



Welcome back to icliniq.com. Yes, Fluconazole comes in tablet form only. Candidiasis is treated with Fluconazole. If there is no relief, then you can continue with tablet Flucanazole 150 mg, thrice a week, for two weeks. Try applying Miconazole 2 % cream or Clotrimazole 1 % cream, twice a day. There isno need to apply Fusidic acid. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines after their consent. You can visit a dermatologist for this problem.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Could balanitis causes inflammation and red bumps on penis after sex and masturbation?

Apply Clotrimazole cream twice a day for two weeks ...   Read full

Can I use Hydrozole for jock itch?

.. of Hydrocortisone and Clotrimazole) cream contains steroid and should not be used as a treatment for jock itch (fungal infection of the groin). You will experience temporary relief while using it but your condition will aggravate once you stop using it   Read full

Why am I having itching and irritation near genital area?

.. B (Beclometasone and Clotrimazole) cream. It is a fungal infection. You will need oral antifungal medication. Are you allergic to oral medication? Are you diabetic? For more information consult a dermatologist online --> .   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Venereologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.