Q. Why is the rash on my genitals not getting cured even after taking Fluconazole?

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 09, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 18, 2021

I have a rash on my genitals from a month. So, I went to a venereologist, who told me to take Fluconazole, one tablet for two weeks. As you can see by the photos attached, the rash is still the same even after a month. Please help me diagnose and treat my rashes.

#

I have seen the rash pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• The medications given to you were correct.
  • I suggest you try applying Fusidic acid 2 % cream, Miconazole 2 % cream, or Clotrimazole 1 % cream, once daily for 2 to 3 weeks.
  • Maintain personal hygiene, wash the area with warm water. Do not use a lot of soap to clean, and avoid friction.
  • If you are sexually active, does your partner suffer from similar complaint? If yes, then your partner should also be treated.
  • And the white spots are Fordyce's spots, which are basically prominent sebaceous glands and do not need treatment.
  • Check your fasting and postprandial blood sugar levels.

For further queries consult a venereologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/venereologist

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I was treated with Fluconazole pills (not cream) for two weeks, and it is a little strange that till now I have the rash. Today I went to a gynecologist, and he said that I have candida. He said that the virus needs to be killed with restricting diet, like avoid eating bread, pizza, beer, and sugar. Is this normal? I am not convinced. Which specialty doctor should I consult? Or, should I use Fusidic acid 2 % and Miconazole 2 % cream?

#

• Yes, Fluconazole comes in tablet form only. Candidiasis is treated with Fluconazole.
  • If there is no relief, then you can continue with tablet Fluconazole 150 mg, thrice a week, for two weeks.
  • Try applying Miconazole 2 % cream or Clotrimazole 1 % cream, twice a day. There is no need to apply Fusidic acid. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines after their consent.
  • You can visit a dermatologist for this problem.

|