Q. My girlfriend has a parasitic eye infection. Is it contagious?

Dr. Pooja Bandivadekar
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 26, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jul 26, 2019

My girlfriend had some irritation in her eye. So, we went to the doctor, who said she has a parasite in her eye. After reading about it on the internet, I am worried that she might go blind. It is a very new relationship, so I wanted to know if it is contagious?

Dr. Pooja Bandivadekar

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

• The parasite inside the eye is usually, cysticercus or hydatid. It is not transmitted through natural sexual routes. It is usually ingested through food.
  • Some parasites, for example, lice or mites infesting the eyelashes are transmitted through physical contact. But, they are easily treatable without any long-standing damage.
  • The parasites mentioned above that reside inside the eye are rare and not transmitted through vaginal sex. However, some rare parasites may be transmitted through the skin.
  • Investigations to be done:
  1. Dilated retinal examination.
  2. Toxoplasma antibody IgG and IgM.
  3. CT scan of the head and orbit for cysticercosis.
  • Differential diagnosis:
  1. Toxoplasmosis.
  2. Cysticercosis.
  3. Hydatid cyst.
  4. Demodex blepharitis.
  • Treatment plan:
  1. Antihelminthic.
  2. Azithromycin for toxoplasmosis.
  3. Steroids to control inflammation.
  • Also, certain infections like toxoplasmosis are bloodborne. So, kindly ascertain with an ophthalmologist about the type and location of the parasite. So, we can guide you more conclusively.

For more information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

| 

What are the side effects of taking levofloxacin and azithromycin tablets?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 19 year old male and I weigh 46 kg. Over the last seven months, I am suffering from fever along with chest and back pain. I also have body ache and little blocked nose but not runny nose. The mucus keeps coming out from my mouth. I have headache and I feel very tired. My stool is ...  Read Full »

I feel like an insect is moving on my skin. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, Other than a psychiatric condition such as delusional parasitosis, are there any known real pathogens that can produce the sensation of loads of tiny insects residing and moving upon the skin that can spread or move throughout the body and causing intense itch? If so please provide n...  Read Full »

Shall I take Azithromycin for chest congestion and cold?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 38 years old and I weigh 55 kg. l am having chest congestion and cold. The doctor prescribed me Azithromycin 500 mg for three days and Levocetirizine. I am asthmatic. I am also taking Foracort 400 twice a day whenever I have a breathing problem. My symptoms are not impr...  Read Full »