Q. Why are there calcified plaques in the coronary arteries?

Dr. Ritendra Nath Talapatra
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 07, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My father had a stent surgery two months back. After that, he has been feeling a burning sensation and deep coughing. Yesterday at his CT scan, the left anterior descending artery had a calcified plaque with proximal LAD of moderate intensity of more than 70%, and also a densely calcified plaque was noted. Calcified plaques were noted at the ostium. The left circumflex artery was noted between 50% to 70%. The obtuse marginal plaque was noted with 40% to 50% stenosis. Kindly suggest the severity of the disease.

#

If the patient had a stent surgery then why he is only on aspirin?

He should be on dual antiplatelet, high dose statin, ACE (angiotensin-converting enzyme) inhibitor and a beta blocker.

Please revise the medication chart. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the medicines.

A coronary angiogram only tells us that disease is present in a specific artery and does not tell the extent of the disease.

If the patient is symptomatic then he should check angiography to assess the extent of the of disease present.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|