iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersCardiologycardiac calcificationWhy my father have calcified plaques in coronary arteries?

Why are there calcified plaques in the coronary arteries?

Why are there calcified plaques in the coronary arteries?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

Dr. K. Shobana

Published At February 7, 2018
Reviewed AtFebruary 7, 2024

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

My father had a stent surgery two months back. After that, he has been feeling a burning sensation and deep coughing. Yesterday at his CT scan, the left anterior descending artery had a calcified plaque with proximal LAD of moderate intensity of more than 70%, and also a densely calcified plaque was noted. Calcified plaques were noted at the ostium. The left circumflex artery was noted between 50% to 70%. The obtuse marginal plaque was noted with 40% to 50% stenosis. Kindly suggest the severity of the disease.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

If the patient had a stent surgery then why he is only on aspirin? He should be on dual antiplatelet, high dose statin, ACE (angiotensin-converting enzyme) inhibitor and a beta blocker. Please revise the medication chart. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the medicines. A coronary angiogram only tells us that disease is present in a specific artery and does not tell the extent of the disease. If the patient is symptomatic then he should check angiography to assess the extent of the of disease present.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Talapatra Ritendra Nath
Dr. Talapatra Ritendra Nath


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy