Q. My dad had a heart attack. Can we wait for 2 to 3 days to do bypass surgery?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 29, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My father, who is 61 years old, suddenly had chest pain, excessive sweating, and vomiting, yesterday at 6 AM. Currently, he is fine, but he is still having chest pain, so the doctor gave him oxygen today. As per his doctor, he had a heart attack, and the pain will go away after some rest. He has kept my father under observation for another day. We stay in an isolated village, so there are very less medical facilities available here. Please suggest any other option.

#

If he had a heart attack, then it is better to shift him to a higher center with facility for cardiac care like angiography is available.

He will need further management like echocardiography, angiography, and stenting if significant blockages are there. Also, medical treatment needs to be optimized.

Enquire if troponin test is positive or not. I also want to know his CK-MB levels, which indicate heart damage. If possible, ask for clinical summary and reports including ECG (electrocardiography), the treatment he is receiving, and you can upload it here for a better opinion.

Hope this helps you, and get back if you have any doubts.

Revert with more information to a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Thank you for replying. I have attached my dad's angiography report, kindly suggest.

#

I have gone through the report (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

It is showing significant blockages in multiple vessels. It is difficult to put so many stents, so he should undergo bypass surgery as soon as possible to preserve heart function.

Get back if you have any doubts.

For further queries consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Thank you for replying. Can we wait for 2 to 3 days? I want him to get operated near my place.

#

• Yes, we can wait, as there is no repeat attack after recent one till today. But I cannot say for sure that nothing will happen in 2 to 3 days.
  • Continue his medicine including injection until surgery, which will minimize the risk of a repeat attack. All the best.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|