Q. Do I require a surgery to patch my secundum atrial septal defect?

This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 23, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 10, 2022

I am a 40-year-old male. I have been diagnosed with 3.3 cm secundum ASD in the right atrium. The catheterization process failed to patch the ASD and now the cardiologist is advising a surgical process. Is this correct? There are no symptoms of chest pain. No breathing or lifestyle issues. I am a normal adult and able to do a daily routine. I have cut down exercises after the ASD diagnosis too. The ASD was found during a recent diagnosis of a cardiac effusion that may not be related to the ASD. What is your opinion? I have attached images for your reference.

#

I have gone through the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Yes, it is certainly possible. It is a large ASD (atrial septal defect). One can patch the ASD up to around 3.6 cm, but it also depends on multiple factors like rims available to hold the patch etc.
  • They must have evaluated the ASD in detail and have come to that conclusion. But the ASD is large and a closure should be done; otherwise, it may lead to pulmonary hypertension which is irreversible.

Hope this helps you and kindly get back if you have any doubts.

|