Q. Is CT coronary angiography better than catheter based investigation for heart blocks?

Dr. K. Murali
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 25, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 20, 2020

320 slice CT scan machines have been introduced in my country. It is claimed that a CT coronary angiography done on such a machine will pinpoint accurately the blocks in the heart. Rendering a catheter based investigation unnecessary. Can you confirm whether this is true?

#

It is not always true. Even today catheter angiography is the gold standard. CTA (computed tomography coronary angiogram) is a good screening tool to evaluate coronary blocks in high-risk asymptomatic patients or to assess preoperative cardiac fitness in some patients admitted for non-cardiac surgeries. If a patient has symptoms suggesting coronary artery disease, confirmed by ECG (electrocardiography) and echocardiogram, it is better to go for catheter angiogram. New generation CT scanners provide excellent quality images but CTA has not replaced catheter-based angiogram at present. But the future for CT angiogram is very bright.

For more information consult an interventional radiologist --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/interventional-radiologist

| 

What is the treatment for atrial fibrillation?

Query: Hi doctor, I have good health with occasional atrial fibrillation. Last night, I had a flare up of atrial fibrillation and my resting heart rate was 130 beats per minute which happened a few hours ago. My normal resting heart rate is 70 beats per minute. I am taking Magnesium and Potassium.  Read Full »

I have chest pain that occurs with deep breath and pressing. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I need an advice and an opinion about a chest pain I have been having for the past four days. About four days back, I was at the family farm doing some cleaning. It was dusty everywhere and so when I finished, I coughed and felt the dust went inside my chest. Since then, I have been h...  Read Full »

Facts About Cardiomyopathy in Adults

Article Overview: Cardiomyopathy refers to disease of the heart's muscles. It can affect anyone in any age group. But, some people are at higher risk. We are going to talk about cardiomyopathy in adults and its types. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S

'Cardio' means heart and 'myo' refers to muscle. So, the term cardiomyopathy describes a disease of the muscles of the heart. In this condition, there is difficulty of the heart's chambers to pump blood effectively to all the tissues of the body. It can be either genetic or acquired. Types of Cardi...  Read Article

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask an Interventional Radiologist Now