Q. Can a cardiac MRI show anything in regards to pulmonary hypertension?

Dr. Amiya Kumar Chattopadhyay
Published on Dec 15, 2017

I have a question regarding cardiac MRI. I have one biannually because I have congenital heart disease. My question is whether or not that type of imaging shows pictures of the lungs and, if so can it show anything in regards to pulmonary hypertension? I had a heart cath seven years ago where I technically had high pulmonary pressure, but not exceedingly so. I have an unrepaired ASD with shunting, which is what they told me was causing it. I also have a bicuspid aortic valve, a subaortic membrane, and coarctation of the aorta repaired twice but there is now an aneurysm at the repair site. The aneurysm is the main reason for the MRI. Please help.

#

To know the picture of the lung, MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) of the lung can be obtained. In your case, it is the assessment of pulmonary hypertension evaluation.

Cardiac MRI is done for accurate assessment of right ventricle structure and function. It is important in the evaluation and serial follow-up of pulmonary hypertension.

You are having unrepaired ASD (atrial septal defect) which is contributory to pulmonary hypertension.

In response to pulmonary hypertension, there is right ventricle hypertrophy and progressive contractile dysfunction.

The function and size of the right ventricle is an indicator of the severity and chronicity of pulmonary hypertension.

Right ventricle function most importantly is the determinant of life expectancy in pulmonary arterial hypertension.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

| 

Is there a permanent cure for pulmonary hypertension?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from rheumatoid arthritis for past 15 years, which has now affected my whole body. Since one and a half year, I am getting shortness of breath and cough. Last year, when I was admitted in the hospital to get this treated, my doctor advised me to use external oxygen for long...  Read Full »

What is the role of calcium in blocking blood vessels?Is it reversible?

Query: Hi doctor, My medical condition, background information, current lifestyle and medications are as follows: My cardiac calcium score was over 4,500 before four years and is now over 9,400. Angioplasty before six months revealed mid right coronary artery stenosis of less than 50% and diffused LAD 20%-...  Read Full »

My husband has suprascapular aneurysm. How to reduce the risk of rupture?

Query: Hi doctor, My husband is 30 years old. He is generally in good health. Three weeks ago he noticed a pulsating mass above his clavicle. He has some shoulder pain, but no neurological or other symptoms. He went to his primary care physician and had an ultrasound yesterday, which reported that he has ...  Read Full »