Q. Can a cardiac MRI show anything in regards to pulmonary hypertension?

Dr. Amiya Kumar Chattopadhyay

I have a question regarding cardiac MRI. I have one biannually because I have congenital heart disease. My question is whether or not that type of imaging shows pictures of the lungs and, if so can it show anything in regards to pulmonary hypertension? I had a heart cath seven years ago where I technically had high pulmonary pressure, but not exceedingly so. I have an unrepaired ASD with shunting, which is what they told me was causing it. I also have a bicuspid aortic valve, a subaortic membrane, and coarctation of the aorta repaired twice but there is now an aneurysm at the repair site. The aneurysm is the main reason for the MRI. Please help.

#

To know the picture of the lung, MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) of the lung can be obtained. In your case, it is the assessment of pulmonary hypertension evaluation.

Cardiac MRI is done for accurate assessment of right ventricle structure and function. It is important in the evaluation and serial follow-up of pulmonary hypertension.

You are having unrepaired ASD (atrial septal defect) which is contributory to pulmonary hypertension.

In response to pulmonary hypertension, there is right ventricle hypertrophy and progressive contractile dysfunction.

The function and size of the right ventricle is an indicator of the severity and chronicity of pulmonary hypertension.

Right ventricle function most importantly is the determinant of life expectancy in pulmonary arterial hypertension.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|