Q. As I am allergic to Gadolinium, can an MRI without contrast help diagnose myocarditis?

Dr. Vivek Chail
and medically reviewed by Dr. Lochana
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 28, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 01, 2021

I am willing to have a cardiac MRI to rule out COVID-induced myocarditis. I am allergic to gadolinium as I had a tachycardia reaction last time and so it will be best for me to have a scan without gadolinium contrast. I want to have a good image. Does having a 3T scanner help to have a high-quality image without contrast? I have a clavicle repair implant. Is it safe to have a 3T scanner?

#

There is a lot of research going on in the evaluation of COVID (severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2) myocarditis. The most recent application of cardiac MRI is a late gadolinium contrast enhancement. As you cannot get a gadolinium contrast MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) due to its adverse effects, then taking a 3T MRI (3 tesla MRI) is a better tool to have images than a 1.5T MRI (1.5 tesla MRI). The tissue contrast in a 3T is best and it helps in visualizing abnormal areas of the heart. But echocardiography is the basic examination to be taken before taking a cardiac MRI scan. Regarding clavicle repair and implant, I suggest you have a discussion with your doctor to know the MRI compatibility of the implant. If the implant is compatible, then there is no problem if the magnetic field is 3T.

|