Q. My father have cardiomyopathy and getting chest pain at night. What to do?

Published on Oct 21, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 24, 2019

Six months ago, my father was hospitalized due to pleural effusion. After doing all the tests, we got to know that he has cardiomyopathy, for which the doctor prescribed some medicines.

He is taking Atorfit CV 20, Nitrocontin 2.6 mg, Coversyl plus, Concor 2.5, Glyciphage and Glynase.

But recently almost every night at the time of sleeping his both chest and back burns and pains.

We did a chest x-ray, echocardiography, blood test and ECG. Please suggest.

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

Did he undergo angiography at that time? Can you attach his test reports or summary?

Firstly, you should consult your cardiologist again and get him checked for the cause of pain. This pain may be related to noncardiac cause as well, like musculoskeletal or gastric reflux. Does he also get pain on exertion or activities which relieve at rest? If yes, then it could be related to the heart. In that case, he will need angiography, and some medicines to be added.

There is no antacid medicine mentioned here. So you should discuss regarding starting antacids like tablets Pan-DSR (Pantoprazole and Domperidone) before breakfast once daily. He should avoid having oily, spicy foods and heavy meals, especially at night.

So it is important to visit your cardiologist and get him examined and modify some medicines, especially antacids. Also, discuss the need for angiography and adding cardiac medicines.

Will CAT scan show lung cancer if pleural effusion is present?

Query: Hello doctor, How likely is a CAT scan to show a lung cancer if a pleural effusion is present? My husband has a pleural effusion and has had four CT scans, none of which show any suspicious mass. Cytology records are inconclusive. I am wondering if the presence of the pleural effusion limits the vi...  Read Full >>

Dr. Chitrangada
Radiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Detection of tumor on CAT (computed tomography) scan has nearly 85 to 90 percent efficacy which further increases to 95 percent in post-contrast studies. The pleasurable effusion can be due to numerous causes and in your case due to mucous plugging causing lung lobe col...  Read Full

Chest pain since 15 days. ECG & TMT reports are normal. What could be the problem?

Query: Hello Doctor, I am having chest pain since 15 days. My ECG & TMT reports are negative. But still I am suffering with the pain. Please suggest me the appropriate treatment.  Read Full >>

Dr. Rohit Jain

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com Chest pain might be due to many reasons other than heart problem (primarily pleuritis - swelling of the lung membrane due to infection). Get your CBC (Complete Blood Count) and chest x-ray done to rule out this cause. Do massage on the affected area with a pain relievi...  Read Full

Why is there mild chest pain although it is not a heart attack?

Query: Hello doctor, My mom had chest pain yesterday evening at 3 PM. It was mild pain on the left side. Today morning she also had mild pain three times. I had contacted a cardiologist yesterday. He asked me to perform an ECG test. After seeing the ECG report, he said there is little issue in ECG line. T...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Good news, there is no heart attack. It is normal. If there is recurrent chest pain especially with exertion or chest pain that relieves with rest and recurs on walking, climbing stairs, etc., then to be on safer side, have an ETT (exercise tolerance test) done. In this...  Read Full