Q. How to diagnose alcoholic cardiomyopathy?

Dr. Pramod Bhanudas Narkhede
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 13, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a heavy drinker. I have been getting heart pain and fast heart rate. How to get diagnosed with alcoholic cardiomyopathy when the echo test result is normal, and 24-hour ECG test shows tachycardia?

#

Alcohol effects on left ventricular function can be reversible. A number of small studies have demonstrated that if it is started before fibrosis, abstinence from alcohol can result in significant improvement in left ventricular function.

A short duration of symptoms of heart failure and abstinence from alcohol are the two factors associated with favourable outcomes.

The prognosis of patients with alcohol-induced cardiomyopathy is poor with the continuous use of alcohol. The reported mortality rates are as high as 42% in three years.

Light microscopic altered structure and function of myocardial fibers can detect alcohol cardiomyopathy, where echo failed to reveal any abnormality in early stages.

For further information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|