Q. Can chest pain have other reasons than heart attack?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

My mom had chest pain yesterday evening at 3 PM. It was mild pain on the left side. Today morning she also had mild pain three times. I had contacted a cardiologist yesterday. He asked me to perform an ECG test. After seeing the ECG report, he said there is little issue in ECG line. Then he provided tablet of Aspirin and one injection. Then he asked for a few blood tests. After seeing the blood test report he said it is not a heart attack and provided Ecospirin for seven days. Sometimes she is still having mild pain. Please tell me is there anything to be worried or everything is normal.

#

Good news, there is no heart attack. It is normal. If there is recurrent chest pain especially with exertion or chest pain that relieves with rest and recurs on walking, climbing stairs, etc., then to be on safer side, have an ETT (exercise tolerance test) done. In this test, your mom will be asked to walk on a graded ramp and simultaneously ECG will be done. If there are no changes in ECG, non-cardiac chest pain will be confirmed. TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) and lipid profile are normal as well (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

|