Q. Can chest pain have other reasons than heart attack?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq
Published on Dec 01, 2018

My mom had chest pain yesterday evening at 3 PM. It was mild pain on the left side. Today morning she also had mild pain three times. I had contacted a cardiologist yesterday. He asked me to perform an ECG test. After seeing the ECG report, he said there is little issue in ECG line. Then he provided tablet of Aspirin and one injection. Then he asked for a few blood tests. After seeing the blood test report he said it is not a heart attack and provided Ecospirin for seven days. Sometimes she is still having mild pain. Please tell me is there anything to be worried or everything is normal.

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Cardiology General Practitioner
#

Good news, there is no heart attack. It is normal. If there is recurrent chest pain especially with exertion or chest pain that relieves with rest and recurs on walking, climbing stairs, etc., then to be on safer side, have an ETT (exercise tolerance test) done. In this test, your mom will be asked to walk on a graded ramp and simultaneously ECG will be done. If there are no changes in ECG, non-cardiac chest pain will be confirmed. TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) and lipid profile are normal as well (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

For chest pain, is it necessary to get an ECG or can I manage with medicine?

Query: Hi doctor,I am feeling a slight pain in the left side of my chest while taking a deep breath. Can you help me with the medicine to cure this pain?  Read Full >>

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

Answer: Hello, Welcome back to icliniq.com. I had gone through all the data posted. We need more details of the problem. What is your age? Do you have any history of diabetes or hypertension? Where is the exact location of pain? Does the pain increase on walking or climbing stairs? Kindly review with fur...  Read Full

Are chest pain and breathing problem common in pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 21 weeks pregnant. I am having chest and lung pain on the right side along with trouble to take a deep breath. I am suffering to catch my breath. I went to the ER and they did a blood test called D-dimer. It came back positive for a lung blood clot on the left side. But, the doctor ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Pregnancy has many transformations in the body and much burden on heart work increases. Mild breathlessness and chest discomfort is common during pregnancy. Because of pregnancy, they cannot do many tests, which may be harmful to baby. They can ...  Read Full