Q. Is it possible to see lung cancer in CAT scan if pleural effusion is present?

Dr. Chitrangada

How likely is a CAT scan to show a lung cancer if a pleural effusion is present? My husband has a pleural effusion and has had four CT scans, none of which show any suspicious mass. Cytology records are inconclusive. I am wondering if the presence of the pleural effusion limits the visibility of a potential tumor? What about in the presence of a middle lobe collapse, could that be hiding a tumor? He has right side pain, short of breath, and was admitted to hospital and fluid drained.

#

Detection of tumor on CAT (computed tomography) scan has nearly 85 to 90 percent efficacy which further increases to 95 percent in post-contrast studies. The pleasurable effusion can be due to numerous causes and in your case due to mucous plugging causing lung lobe collapse-tumor need to be the cause always so do not be apprehensive about that. Any heterogenous abnormal enhancement can be a tumor seen in contrast scan which is not present in your scan.

But is it possible a tumor is there and not visible due to the pleural fluid and lung collapse?

#

On CT, we see structures based on their densities. So pleural fluid will have less density than a mass and will be dark whereas a mass or tumor will be more solid and will appear relatively bright even on plain scans and with a contrast, it will become brighter. So, it is highly unlikely to be missed. Take care and if possible, do upload the scans. I can review them for you if you want.

Can you help me understand whether or not a tumor or mass can be identified if it is in the area of the lung that has collapsed? My husband has a near complete right middle lobe collapse. If there were a tumor in that area of the long, with CAT scan can it be seen?

#

Any tumor develops abnormal vessels with leaky channels, therefore, it enhances abnormally on contrast CT scan and is hence detected even in a collapsed lung. Therefore, it is easily detected. Take care.

| 

I have pain in ribs and breathing problems. Is it a sign of lung cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, For past four weeks, I have pain in my ribs. Also, I am experiencing breathing problems. It feels like something has stuck in the heart. For, a few days pain has been decreased. But breathing problem persists. I am also experiencing pain in my lower back. The pain is massive at night tim...  Read Full »

I cough up mucus with specks of blood. What could be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor,The last few weeks I have been coughing a lot. Multiple times a day I will gag and cough up mucus. Sometimes it is clear and sometimes it is green with red specks in which I assume is blood. I have a pressure on my chest so breathing can be hard.  Read Full »

Side Effects Of Phendimetrazine

Query: Hi doctor, I took thermogenic Phendimetrazine for two days. I am now experiencing shortness of breath and excessive yawning. I am also burping all the time. I stopped taking the medicine six days ago and, yet I am still gasping for breath and experiencing these side effects. My doctor did an EKG an...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask a Radiologist Now