Q. How is carpometacarpal bossing diagnosed?

Dr. Basuki Nath Bhagat

I have painful wrist with bone swelling, which I think is carpometacarpal bossing. How can this be diagnosed? I have inflammatory arthritis in my left ankle, but it has been in remission, and I am off all medications. I have just recovered from COVID, so maybe this has caused the hand swelling?

#

I have read your query. I am sorry for such discomfort.

Carpometacarpal bossing presents with a firm lump on the back of the wrist, and the lump does not move. It can be asymptomatic or present with pain or limiting the wrist's range of movement. Since when or how long do you have the lump or bone swelling present? An X-ray can help in the diagnosis of it. Do you have other symptoms like joint stiffness worsening in the morning and after inactivity? Any involvement of small joints of the hands?

I do not know the association of swelling with COVID-19 after recovery from it. However, I suggest you do a warm compress and take over-the-counter pain relievers to reduce the pain. If the pain is routine, work up to be done to identify the underlying cause and treatment accordingly.

I hope you find my reply helpful.

Please follow up if necessary.

Thanks.

|