Q. Is lump behind palatopharyngeal arch supposed to be throat cancer?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal
Published on Jan 12, 2020

I recently noticed white little lumps on the spots at the back of my throat, one behind palatopharyngeal arch which is a red lump and another on the back of my throat each side with red bumps and white little things on them. What is it? I do not know how long I had it. I do not drink or smoke. Is it cancer like throat cancer or mouth cancer? I am a 27-year-old female. I have white sack looking things behind my tonsil as well with which look like blood vessels. But anyway I am sending the picture. I am scared. Please help.

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

I have seen the picture. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

The red bumps with white little things on them at the back of the throat (behind the palatopharyngeal arch) are called lymphoid granules. These are lymphoid tissues that are normally present. However, in you, they seem to be slightly enlarged. When enlarged and infected they are very congested, red and may exude pus. In your picture I cannot make out pus. The enlargement without redness or pus may indicate chronic throat infection. In case of chronic pharyngitis or tonsillitis, you may be having these bumps for a long time. However, you may have suffered throat pain, fever, soreness, difficulty in swallowing and painful swallowing intermittently. They are not cancer.

The tonsils appear normal to me. They do not have a smooth surface. They have pits called crypts through which tonsillar secretions come out into the mouth. When the pits are clogged then you may develop tonsilloliths or stones which may be painful and give globus feeling. Otherwise, the tonsils look normal. If you suffer from the intermittent symptoms I mentioned then perhaps this is a case of chronic tonsillopharyngitis where we can explore the option of surgically removing the tonsils from both sides to give you relief from the symptoms. Otherwise, we need not bother.

| 

I have severe throat pain. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I feel as though I may have Streptococcus infection or tonsillitis. I have been fine healthwise. All of a sudden this morning I woke up with severe throat pain. I am Type A Streptococcus. When I had Streptococcus infection, my lymph nodes never hurt too much and they were never too swolle...  Read Full »

After a biochemical pregnancy, when can I plan my next pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a biochemical pregnancy before two months. Initially, my hCG test showed 11 and after a couple of days it was 9. Then, I had an endometrial lining scan and it showed a simple right ovarian cyst measuring 33 x 27 mm. So, doctor prescribed Meprate and I got my periods on the 27th of l...  Read Full »

Why is there a swollen lump present on my left side of the neck?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a small swollen lump on the left side of my neck. I do not feel sick. But I feel like I have a fever and headache. My teeth look fine, and I do not have sensitivity. Can I have an infection in my teeth?  Read Full »