Q. The lump at the back of my head is painful when I have headaches. What is the cause?

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 24, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 28, 2021

I have headaches always. I also have a fever every time while having a headache. I feel like my head is going to explode. I feel tired. I have this condition after having an accidental head injury. I have a lump in my back of my head. My lump is painful while having a headache. I got a head injury while I was 13 years old.

#

Please mention whether you have a lump from 13 years of age. Please mention whether you have done any surgery at childhood. Please mention whether you have any other problems. A lump can be bony protrusion or ossification of hematoma from childhood. Dermoid cyst or any other problems can also present like this. You can have a migraine headache or cervical spondylosis with radiculopathy. Do a X-ray of cervical spine in anteroposterior and lateral view. You can take tablet Naproxen 250 mg twice a day after food for five days. If there is no improvement, then consult a physician for examination and treat your condition accordingly. Have a review with your reports.

|