Q. I had surgeries for cauda equina syndrome. Can you decode the surgery notes?

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

I recently had two spinal surgeries for cauda equina syndrome. I was told that the second surgery was required due to a dural tear. However, on reading my clinical notes, I now question this. I have the operation notes, which I can send (about a paragraph each) if you have a spinal surgeon who can decode them for me.

#

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help you.

Can you please elaborate what your question is?

I want you to look at the two notes from my operations and tell me the reason for the second one, based on what the second operation found. The notes were attached. Does this help?

#

The first surgery was done to decompress the spinal canal and foramina. During that, the dura (covering of the spinal cord) was injured. They tried to close it. But, somehow, the leak persisted. Because the dura was open, the CSF (cerebrospinal fluid - a fluid that surrounds the brain and spinal cord and lies inside the dura) has come out when the pressure was high.

As long as this fluid comes from the brain to the outside, there is not much of a problem. But, it can also go from the outside to the inside. When that happens, you have a high chance of developing meningitis (brain fever).

So, to prevent you from developing brain fever, a second surgery was done and the leak was closed.

Hope you found the answer helpful. If you need any clarification, please do not hesitate in asking again. I can assist you further.

For more information consult a spine surgeon online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/spine-surgeon

|