Spinal Canal Stenosis

What is the abutment of nerve root?

Query: Hi doctor,I am just wondering what is abutting and abutment of the nerve root means in a back issue. Please explain. What treatment is required for annular bulging and tear?  Read Full »

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help you. Abutment of nerve root means that the disc is touching the nerve root. Treatment of disc bulge alone is mostly non-surgical means. If there is annular tear, then you will...  Read Full »

Is my back pain, a nerve problem?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having pain in my right side lower back only if I bend or try to wear my trouser. Also, it is there if I am standing and trying to raise my leg. Even while walking I feel little pain. If I lie in bed or stand straight, then there is no pain. What is the reason and what medicine ca...  Read Full »

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are three possibilities for your pain. It could be one out of these three conditions or a combination of them. Intervertebral disc prolapse. Lumbar canal stenosis. Para vertebral muscle spasm or lower back strain or lumbago (low back pain). If the pain in the low...  Read Full »

I have pain in my neck and upper arm, with numbness and tingling in both arms. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I have mucosal thickening with aerated secretions in the sphenoid sinuses with surrounding hyperostosis. The mucosal thickening in left maxillary sinus is greater than right maxillary sinus, with trace aerated secretions. Also, opacification of right mastoid air cells and right middle ear...  Read Full »

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert, Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Physiotherapist, Spine Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have sent me the verbatim report of the MRI of the cervical spine and the mastoids. This, however, is very little to help me as I do not know the exact symptoms you have. Do you have more problems with your mastoids or the neck? Do you have pain in the neck or does...  Read Full »

Can balancing issue occur due to vestibular lesion or cervical myelopathy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 45 year old male. My weight is 96 kg and height is 184 cm. I have severe sleep apnea and minor CAD with hypertension. I am facing problems of imbalance and lightheadedness. This started some six months back. Then, I was diagnosed with an uncompensated vestibular lesion. After a wh...  Read Full »

Dr. Chirag Ashok Berry

Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From the information you gave me, it looks like your imbalance is due to a condition called cervical myelopathy. The examination findings of your spine specialist also correlate with your diagnosis. This happens when there is undue pressure or compression of the spinal...  Read Full »

Can you look at my MRI and explain the reason for burning pain in feet?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had a problem with my feet now for four years. About four years ago, I had some burning pain in feet. I cannot stand for more than 15 minutes or the pain gets very bad. Four years ago, I also had really bad pain in my legs after standing all day. That has diminished and now I stil...  Read Full »

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am sorry that you have had this pain for the past four years. From what you have written, I find that you have problem with feet for four years, burning pain on the bottom of feet and you cannot stand for more than 15 minutes. Your MRI report (attachment removed to p...  Read Full »

What is the right treatment for mild diffuse disc bulge in L4-L5?

Query: Dear doctor,My mother has been experiencing little back pain for more than three years. So, she has been consulting some neurosurgeons for some time but no major problem has been detected by them. Recently, the pain has increased a lot. She had consulted a nearby orthopedic surgeon. He has taken an ...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I agree with her doctor that surgery should be postponed as much as possible considering the mild bulging. I suggest using painkillers and Amitriptyline (if no contraindications) for the pain. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking ...  Read Full »

Please clarify my MRI report.

Query: Hi doctor, Around four weeks ago, I drove for three hours. I had pain in my abdomen that had spread to my spine. I had to crawl everywhere for one week as I could not walk. The pain has reduced, but still I am uncomfortable. I have been advised by my doctor not to work until I consult a specialist a...  Read Full »

Dr. Chandan Mohanty

Neurologist, Neuro Surgeon, Spine Surgeon, Spine Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) is suggestive of compression of the spinal cord in the thoracic spine. There is also some swelling within the cord (cord edema) because of the compression. You can wait till the ...  Read Full »

I had surgeries for cauda equina syndrome. Can you decode the surgery notes?

Query: Hello doctor, I recently had two spinal surgeries for cauda equina syndrome. I was told that the second surgery was required due to a dural tear. However, on reading my clinical notes, I now question this. I have the operation notes, which I can send (about a paragraph each) if you have a spinal sur...  Read Full »

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help you. Can you please elaborate what your question is?  Read Full »

My mother has cervical spinal stenosis. How to move her from the bed to wheelchair?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother, who is 79 years old has a neurologist appointment in five days. She was recently diagnosed at the ER with spinal stenosis in the neck. However, I am very concerned that me moving her from the bed to the wheelchair is contributing to her daily decline and related symptoms. Her s...  Read Full »

Dr. Sudheer Ambekar

Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Severe cervical spinal stenosis causing spinal cord compression is known to cause all the symptoms that you have described. However, if the worsening from being able to walk to not at all has happened after your ER visit, I suggest you go to the ER again. This is becau...  Read Full »

My x-ray report shows that I have lumbar spondylosis. Do I have to get an MRI?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a pain in my back, and the local doctor says that L3 might have collapsed. I can walk and do day to day activities. My x-ray report says I have lumbar spondylosis. And osteophytes are seen with sclerosis in lumber vertebra and disc space reduced between L4 - L3. The doctor advised...  Read Full »

Dr. Atul Prakash

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I do not have all the information here but will try and explain. From you description, you do not seem to have any leg symptoms, like sciatica like pain or lumbar canal stenosis. You also have not mentioned about any night symptoms, weight loss, appetite loss, fever,...  Read Full »

All the answers published in the forum are given by leading doctors, therapists and health experts.