Csf

Why is there constant headache for over five years?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been suffering from a constant headache for over five years. An MRI done roughly 2 to 3 years ago showed pineal cysts but the report stated they were of no significance. Since then further investigations have been done to find the cause of my headaches. A neurologist I was seei...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakashkumar P Bhatt

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician, Neurologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am fine. Through your case summary, you are suffering from persistent daily headache which is disabling your daily activities. You were completely evaluated for your headache initially where MRV showed left transverse sinus stenosis 2 to 3 years ago. CFS pressure w...  Read Full »

Could you please explain MRI brain and CSF studies related to NPH?

Query: Hello doctor,Can you please give the diagnosis of the uploaded MRI brain and CSF studies with a detailed report? Please advise on the action plan as to how to get the CSF findings treated. The MRI report is enclosed. Does the enclosed report co-relate with your findings? The MRI report CSF studies r...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome back to icliniq.com. The findings in the report and the images are matching and acceptable (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The term NPH is usually applied in cases where there is abnormal CSF hyperdynamic circulation with gait problems or without gait problems if inco...  Read Full »

Can I get Naegleria fowleri infection from washing my nose with tap water?

Query: Hello doctor, I am in a subtropical state. As I was washing my face a few days ago, I accidentally got some tap water up my nose. Vaguely aware that there might be concerns about the Naegleria fowleri ameba down here, I panicked and then took some bottled mineral water and tried to rinse my nose wi...  Read Full »

Dr. Kumar Ashutosh

Family Physician, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com.  Firstly, do not worry at all. Please let me know exactly how many days have passed after the exposure. Also, know these facts: Naegleria infection is very rare. Less than 200 cases are reported till date. It spreads very rapidly and symptoms appear within five to 10...  Read Full »

I have a pain near the tailbone after a blood patch was performed. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I had a spinal tap done two weeks ago, and a blood patch three days later. The blood patch worked but, I still get headaches and do not feel well at all. I have a swollen bump on my tailbone that hurts. I saw my doctor who did not seem too sure about it but, said there did not seem to ...  Read Full »

Dr. Vansh Priya

Anesthesiologist

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.You most probably experienced a post dural puncture headache (PDPH), for which you were administered an epidural blood patch.Your signs and symptoms are more suggestive of a meningeal irritation due to some infection. I would suggest you consult a neurophysician for the...  Read Full »

How to treat headaches caused by tuberculous meningitis?

Query: Hello doctor, My father was suffering from fever and right sided headaches, which felt like an electric shock. So, we consulted a doctor, and after several tests, the doctor diagnosed it as tubercular meningitis. All the test including CT scan were normal. So, he prescribed Forcox, Benadon, and Uri...  Read Full »

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would like to know few more details. Since when is he on tuberculosis medicines? Since when is he having fever and headaches? How long does one episode of the headache last? Does he have any nausea or vomiting during the headache? Does this headache increase on lyin...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for chiari malformation?

Query: Hi doctor, I had an MRI three weeks ago and they told there is Chiari malformation about 8 mm. I went to a neurologist but he did not listen to me. I have a constant headache, a pressure in my necks and shoulders, nausea with vomiting daily. I have a problem with swallowing, buzzing in the left ear...  Read Full »

Dr. Sudheer Ambekar

Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Tonsillar herniation of more than 5 mm in adults is significant and defined as Chiari type 1 malformation. The usual symptoms associated with this condition are imbalance while walking, cough induced headache, numbness over hands, nape of neck and weakness of hands. Man...  Read Full »

What can be the white hyperintensities on MRI?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 39-year-old female who is otherwise healthy. I recently had an MRI due to smelling smoke that is not there. Some white hyperintensities were found on the MRI. As a result, I had a lumbar puncture. Everything came back normal, no oligoclonal banging was present. However, my IgG ...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The increase of protein (IgG and albumin) production in the LCS (liquide cerebro-spinal) could be related to different chronic neurological disorders like an autoimmune disorder, a chronic infection like Lyme disease, multiple sclerosis (MS), etc. Although the presen...  Read Full »

Why is there a muscle tension in my shoulders, arms, and hands?

Query: Hello doctor, I have problems with clear thinking. When I am in a wrong position, there will be tension in my shoulders and arms, and in my face muscles, but also I cannot think clearly anymore. It is like a blackout. When I bend my head forward for a few seconds, my body reacts with sweating, rapi...  Read Full »

Dr. Chirag Solanki

General Surgeon, Neuro Surgeon, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the attachments (attachment removed to protect patient identity). From your complaints, it looks like you are having tension type of pain. Actually, it occurs because of tensed tightened neck muscles. Some patients also feel similar pain in tem...  Read Full »

I had surgeries for cauda equina syndrome. Can you decode the surgery notes?

Query: Hello doctor, I recently had two spinal surgeries for cauda equina syndrome. I was told that the second surgery was required due to a dural tear. However, on reading my clinical notes, I now question this. I have the operation notes, which I can send (about a paragraph each) if you have a spinal sur...  Read Full »

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help you. Can you please elaborate what your question is?  Read Full »

My mother has NPH. Should she go for CSF drainage or shunt surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, My 76 year old mother was recently diagnosed with normal pressure hydrocephalus. She is having trouble walking. She can walk only three to four steps at a time. She has been having this difficulty since a month now. She is currently not on any medication for this or for any other issu...  Read Full »

Dr. Chandan Mohanty

Neurologist, Neuro Surgeon, Spine Surgeon, Spine Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am sorry to hear about your mother. I have seen her MRI reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Going for lumbar puncture (LP) drainage, and then checking for a clinical improvement, before a shunt, has a better chance of determining the overall suc...  Read Full »