Q. My mother has NPH. Should she go for CSF drainage or shunt surgery?

Dr. Chandan Mohanty
Published on Jul 12, 2017

My 76 year old mother was recently diagnosed with normal pressure hydrocephalus. She is having trouble walking. She can walk only three to four steps at a time. She has been having this difficulty since a month now. She is currently not on any medication for this or for any other issues. We consulted two different neurosurgeons. One of them suggested going for the shunting procedure directly, while the other has asked us to go for LP CSF drainage and look for clinical improvement. I am confused. Which one should she go for? How complicated is the shunting procedure? How suitable is it, considering her age? I have attached the MRI reports for your consideration.

Dr. Chandan Mohanty

Neuro Surgery Neurology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

I am sorry to hear about your mother. I have seen her MRI reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Going for lumbar puncture (LP) drainage, and then checking for a clinical improvement, before a shunt, has a better chance of determining the overall success of the shunt surgery. So, this is the preferred approach.
  • The shunt surgery is usually straightforward, but how well she responds to it, depends on her general medical condition and overall health. Please discuss this in detail with your neurosurgeon.

Wishing her a speedy recovery. Best wishes.

For more information consult a neuro surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neuro-surgeon

| 

Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus

Article Overview: This article discusses in detail the causes and treatment of neural tube defects. Read Article

Dr. Tony Magana
Neuro Surgeon

What is Spina Bifida? Spina bifida is a condition resulting from the malformation of the brain, skull, spinal cord, and spine to varying degrees that occurs within the first month after conception (pregnancy).   Causes of Neural Tube Defects: The embryonic tissues which will later specialize...  Read Article

How to treat headaches caused by tuberculous meningitis?

Query: Hello doctor, My father was suffering from fever and right sided headaches, which felt like an electric shock. So, we consulted a doctor, and after several tests, the doctor diagnosed it as tubercular meningitis. All the test including CT scan were normal. So, he prescribed Forcox, Benadon, and Uri...  Read Full »

Is surgery necessary to treat fluid in brain?

Query: Hello doctor, My sister is suffering from head pain since one month. She usually have head pain when she wakes up from bed, which gradually gets alright after a while. She is taking Dynapar for pain. The reports of CT scan and MRI shows everything normal. She consulted a few doctors, some suggested...  Read Full »

Ask a Neuro Surgeon Now