Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. I was diagnosed with Celiac disease a year back. Can you suggest any medicine?

Answered by
Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sneha Kannan
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 14, 2020

Having celiac fromnlast 10 year dignosis recently ayear ago since then i am gluten free still cant absorb food feeling week i am 25 yearw old ...please do suggest me gluten free l glutamine supplemwnt to recover and multi vitamin

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Medical Gastroenterology

Hello dear. I welcome you to icliniq.

Well it is important that you understand that giving supplements of whatever quality, would not help, unless your primary issues is settled. I am sure you would have confirmatory tests for diagnosing celiac disease namely TTg(positive) and duodenal biopsy showing villous atrophy with raised intraepithelial lymphocytes.

The best supplement to recover is not multivitamin since they are just micronutrient, the recovery is possible with macronutrient such as corbohydrates, protein,, and fats. But since you have ongoing problem with malabsorption, I am afraid, even they would be unable to help you. If you have confirmed celiac disease then non responsive can be due to following reasons.

  1. Non compliance with gluten free diet (intentional plus unintentional) . There are various that we take and we do not know there gluten contents, since it is not written in the label over packet, or unlabelled things.
  2. Unresponsive Celiac. In approx. 25 to 40% of cases patient do not respond to gluten free diet only, and these are also the cases where other reason may be underlying the pathogenesis of the gluten sensitivity not just only celiac disease.

If your diagnosed was not established via the criteria mentioned above, then you your doctor should review your diagnosis again, and exclude other potential causes mimicking like celiac. They are called as celiac mimickers. You can upload your ttg report, plus endoscopy, plus biopsy report, plus all other blood or stool testing that you have done. I may suggest you, after complete evaluation, certain other tests to figure out the cause of non responsiveness of your symptoms.

The Probable causes:

Unresponsive celiac disease
Celiac mimickers
Non compliance with celiac

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
My TTG IgA is high. Do I have celiac disease?
Am I taking the right medication for celiac disease and thyroid?
I am having yeast infection, gluten and lactose intolerance. What is the cause?
Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

My daughter has abdominal lymphadenopathy. Is that a critical health issue?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter, who is 5 years old, was detected with abdominal lymphadenopathy. Her ESR level is 62. She is also suffering from constipation and abdominal pain. Her doctor done blood tests, ultrasound and endoscopy followed by histopathology. The biopsy report shows chronic duodenitis with ...  Read Full »

Please suggest an opinion on my lab report for abdominal pain.

Query: Hello doctor, I have a dull pain on the left side of the abdomen that comes and goes. I had the same pain before 10 years. Can you please provide feedback on the recent labs I had done?  Read Full »

Is it true that gastric metaplasia is a precancerous lesion?

Query: Hi doctor, After testing positive for celiac disease, I had an EGD and biopsy three weeks ago. The pathology report stated that I had marked acute and chronic inflammation with severe reactive epithelial changes including villus blunting and gastric metaplasia. I was negative for H. pylori as I was ...  Read Full »

Also Read

Can naked body to body massage spread HIV?
Hello doctor, I recently had some business trip during which I had some naked body to body massage wherein massager vag...  Read more»
Are COVID-19 Patients Infectious for up to 90 Days After Recovery?
There have been reports of recovered COVID-19 patients getting reinfected and testing positive for almost 3 months. Read...  Read more»
Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Medical Gastroenterologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.