Q. I was diagnosed with Celiac disease a year back. Can you suggest any medicine?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 14, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 08, 2021

I have celiac disease for the last ten years, but I was diagnosed recently a year ago. As I have switched to a gluten-free diet, I am feeling weak. I am 25 years old. Please suggest to me some gluten-free food. Now I am taking L-Glutamine supplement and Multivitamin to recover.

#

You need to understand that giving supplements of whatever quality would not help unless your primary issue is settled. I am sure you would have done confirmatory tests for diagnosing celiac disease, namely tTG (tissue transglutaminase) and duodenal biopsy showing villous atrophy with raised intraepithelial lymphocytes. The best supplement to recover is not multivitamin. They are just micronutrients; the recovery is possible with macronutrients such as carbohydrates, protein, and fats. But since you have an ongoing problem with malabsorption, I am afraid even they would be unable to help you. If you have confirmed celiac disease, then nonresponsiveness can be due to the following reasons,

1. Noncompliance with a gluten-free diet (intentional and unintentional). We take various food, and we do not know their gluten contents since it is not written on the label or unlabelled things.
  2. Unresponsive Celiac- In approximately 25 percent to 40 percent of the cases, patients do not respond to a gluten-free diet. These are also the cases where other reasons may be underlying the pathogenesis of gluten sensitivity, not only celiac disease.

If your diagnosis was not established via the criteria mentioned above, your doctor should review your diagnosis again and exclude other potential causes mimicking like celiac. They are called celiac mimickers. You can upload your tTG report, endoscopy, biopsy report, and all other blood or stool testing that you have done. After a complete evaluation, I may suggest specific other tests to figure out the cause of the nonresponsiveness of your symptoms.

Unresponsive celiac disease.
Celiac mimickers.
Noncompliance with celiac.

|