Celiac Disease

How to differentiate celiac disease from deamidated gliadin IgG level?

Query: Hi doctor, My friend had his deamidated gliadin IgG antibody test done recently. The test result is 152. Does it mean that the person is having celiac disease?  Read Full »

Dr. Kini

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Deamidated gliadin IgG antibody level of more than 30 is diagnostic of celiac disease. Since the number mentioned by you is 152, it indicates that the person is having celiac disease.  Read Full »

What can cause the stool to float and change color?

Query: Hello doctor, About 18 months ago, my stomach distended, and my stool turned from brown to light brown and eventually yellow. After that, I started to lose weight at a rapid rate, 40 lbs in 15 months. I was given multiple blood tests, an upper endoscopy, and abdominal ultrasounds. The only thing of...  Read Full »

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Medical Gastroenterologist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The cause of your weight loss could be maldigestion, malabsorption or systemic illness. Improper digestion occurs due to a lack of pancreatic enzymes secretion. Malabsorption occurs due to intestinal issues, for example, Celiac disease, infection or inflammation of t...  Read Full »

Do my symptoms suggest celiac disease?

Query: Hello doctor, I have always had weird symptoms and I think I have celiac disease. I also think that the combination of all my symptoms may mean something. I was tested once for thyroid problems and once for Lyme disease because I had a big, dangerous tick-bite rash. I am 19 years old and according t...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for sharing your detailed history with us. There is a very strong possibility that you have malabsorption syndrome. There are various types of malabsorption syndromes and celiac disease is one of them. You have signs of multiple essential nutrient d...  Read Full »

My TTG IgA is high. Do I have celiac disease?

Query: Hello doctor, My tissue transglutaminase IgA are high but I have not done any biopsy but done only an endoscopy (normal). If my TTG IgA is high then I must be having celiac disease because this level only goes high with celiac disease, am I right? Then why do I need to go for biopsy as it is a pain...  Read Full »

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is useful for comparison of severity of bowel involvement in raised antibody status. Raised IgA TTG level grade according to Marsh classification if your antibody level less on Marsh stage you may need a biopsy. If the patient is suffering from hypoglobulinemia ...  Read Full »

Why do I have a decreased appetite, abdominal pain, and mucus in stools?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 26 year old unmarried female. I am having decreased appetite, abdominal fullness, mucus in stools, dull pain in the upper abdomen, and get a headache sometimes. I have asthma and take Formosone 125 inhaler, Doxofylline, and Montelukast. I also keep getting aphthous ulcer every mo...  Read Full »

Dr. Arvind Guru

General Surgeon, Surgical Gastroenterologist, Surgical Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for uploading the blood reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your renal and thyroid function are normal. The borderline value of potassium can be easily fixed by a good intake of fruits on a daily basis. Coming to your symptoms, I understand t...  Read Full »

Why do I have persistently high Hb and HCT?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 31 year old female. I have a history of celiac disease and a past medical history of Hodgkin's lymphoma, a stage 2 cervical lymph node and tumors in my chest. I had a blood test last week which showed B12 and folic acid deficiency, raised hemoglobin of 161 and raised hematocrit of ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are having celiac disease in which because of malabsorption vitamin B12 deficiency and folate deficiency can occur. This deficiency also can be developed if polycythemia present in which proliferation more. Here hemoglobin and HCT is high as per history. Hence if it i...  Read Full »

My 7 months old baby poops more than 20 times. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 7 months old. She keeps pooping. She at least poops 20 diapers a day. Why?  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. A baby of 7 months old passing stools of around 20 times a day is not normal. There are some diseases which can cause this type of symptom. The possibility of celiac disease should be ruled out. In celiac disease, there is an allergy to glu...  Read Full »

Is it true that gastric metaplasia is a precancerous lesion?

Query: Hi doctor, After testing positive for celiac disease, I had an EGD and biopsy three weeks ago. The pathology report stated that I had marked acute and chronic inflammation with severe reactive epithelial changes including villus blunting and gastric metaplasia. I was negative for H. pylori as I was ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Here according to your history, you were positive for gluten disease. So, you might have done tissue transglutaminase antibody testing. It is very sensitive for that and then, a biopsy for confirmation. In histopathology report, villous blunting present but intra-epithel...  Read Full »

My daughter has abdominal lymphadenopathy. Is that a critical health issue?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter, who is 5 years old, was detected with abdominal lymphadenopathy. Her ESR level is 62. She is also suffering from constipation and abdominal pain. Her doctor done blood tests, ultrasound and endoscopy followed by histopathology. The biopsy report shows chronic duodenitis with ...  Read Full »

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You should not worry. There is no evidence of cancer in the given scenario as such (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Lymph nodes in the abdomen are normal structure. The lymph nodes enlarge in the presence of infection and malignancy. Here, LN is not so en...  Read Full »

Why does my stomach get upset when I eat wheat?

Query: Hi doctor,My stomach remains upset most of the time upset. This happens especially when I eat roti made of wheat flour or corn flour. If I eat fruits, then it is normal. My weight has also reduced due to this. I have this problem for the past one month. I had a liver infection before two years. I am...  Read Full »

Dr. Alka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your current BMI is normal. But, if your weight is decreasing due to the lack of diet, then that is not a good thing. Your liver problem was before two years and your current problem has a history of one month. So, I do not think that it has something to do wi...  Read Full »