Cellulitis

What causes a swollen ankle to turn dark red?

Query: My father, Male, 77 years old with swollen ankle redness of the swollen area has turn into dark red, not diabetic since last check up last year, he had a stroke before and has undergone liver operation due to cancer 8 years back. He has no fever , chills or dizziness. Just pain in the affected area...  Read Full »

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

Answer: Hello Dear your father may be developed cellulitis or joint effusion ( due to hepatic insufficiency). If the limb is warm means it may be cellulitis so need to start immediate treatment. If it cold at the affected area with no fever then may be eczema or purpura or rash. So 1. Keep limb elevation...  Read Full »

Is surgery mandatory for boils in the leg?

Query: Hello doctor, My brother has swelling on his left foot. He has a boil on his left inner leg 4 inches above his left ankle inner bone. The doctor he visited gave him medicines for his boil and said the boil will come out in some days. The swelling in his foot has increased and so he visited the same...  Read Full »

Dr. C Elanchezhian

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. He is having diabetes? If yes, what is the sugar level? If yes, first you have to control the sugar level. He is having a deep infected ulcer with cellulitis. What medications he is on? Since it is a deep and swelling extended up to the foot better open the wound ...  Read Full »

What is the itchy bump around my second toenail?

Query: Hello doctor, I have an itchy bump around the nail of one of my toes, the second one. It has happened in the past years, usually when the season gets warmer. It started about a month ago and grew into a quite itchy, sensitive and swollen area. It is now turning to purple. I tried antifungals before,...  Read Full »

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your concern and examine your pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It seems that you are having paronychia. Acute paronychia is a soft tissue infection around a fingernail that begins as cellulitis, but that may progress to a definite ab...  Read Full »

What causes swollen foot with purple discoloration in a diabetic?

Query: Hello doctor, My left foot is swollen with purple color and pain. I am currently on Diamicron 60 mg and Xelevia 100 mg.  Read Full »

Dr. Prabhakaran Selvam

Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Sonologist, Toxicologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. With history, I feel you have left foot cellulitis. It is the infection on the foot. You might need heavy antibiotics for the infection. Is warmth present on the wound? Any pus discharge from the area? Kindly update these details and also the picture of the purple c...  Read Full »

What can cause pain starting from the left side of the hip to the leg?

Query: Hello sir This query is about a pain in veins of my mother which is started from her left side hip and spread in whole leg... this pain is unbearable. She is 46 years old. Her height and weight is 5'4" , 83 kg. She have problem in her knees too due to over weight Kindly advise me the best solu...  Read Full »

Dr. Kapil Gupta

Answer: Hello. Welcome to icliniq.com Can you describe the pain a little more and share some pictures of the affected leg if possible. Does the pain occur on moving the leg? Is the pain like a current like sensation from the hip to the leg? Is there any change of colour in the affected leg? Is the...  Read Full »

Will flea or bug bite likely to cause cellulitis?

Query: Hello doctor, Usually, I let my cats go out and play in the backyard. They frequently bring in fleas and bugs in the house. So I get flea and bug bites. I usually get red bumps on the areas of my legs and lower legs. But recently I notice that there is a confined area that looks like a scab. Thi...  Read Full »

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed the attached photograph and can appreciate the scabbed area. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is not cellulitis at all. It is because of the intense itching the area has excoriated and then turned into a scab. No need to take oral a...  Read Full »

I am six months pregnant and I have swollen feet and ankles. Please advice.

Query: Hello doctor, I am six months pregnant. I have swollen feet and ankles. It hurts when water runs over them. I also have lower back pain and some dizziness. Kindly help.  Read Full »

Dr. Donalyn S. Barcial

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A pregnant woman usually has edema (swollen lower extremities) especially if she has been standing quite long. However, it is never tender but just heavy. It spontaneously resolves when she places her feet at least two pillows higher than her body or only by little e...  Read Full »

Why are there redness, swelling and pain in the arm after popping a blister in a Meth addict?

Query: Hello doctor, My husband is 36 years old. He is fit and healthy, rarely gets sick. But he is a Meth addict. He missed the vein when injecting in top part of his wrist. The injection site looks like a small ant bite. It formed a water blister that he popped and put Neosporin on. But his hand is red,...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This looks like a cellulitis (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it is an infection of subcutaneous tissue. He needs antibiotics and blood test. Convince him for visit. He will need a hemogram test, and blood culture to look for the extent of infection....  Read Full »

What is the possible reasons for the leg swelling due to mosquito bite?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 35 year old female. For four years, my right leg has swollen once in a year in the summer or when I go for agricultural works in mud fields. Initially it starts with fever, vomiting, body pain, chillness and then my leg will change to light red color and the swelling will start....  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It looks like you had cellulitis. You might have scratched your leg and later on it has developed an infection. I think you are accumulating gas in your foot and in your leg. I think you should be seen by an orthopedic surgeon sooner rather than later. You need a co...  Read Full »

I have pain under my right rib. Is it due to drinking alcohol?

Query: Hi doctor, I am an 18 year old male, and I weigh 90 kg and 178 cm tall. I have pain under my right rib, and it hurts while breathing. I hope it is not liver related from alcohol. I had two drinks in the last few days, but those are the only drinks I have ever had.  Read Full »

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It does not seem to be related to alcohol drinking as per your history, as two drinks do not make much of a change with the anatomy of the liver. It is probably suggestive of muscle related problem. It might be myalgia or cellulitis. I suggest you get a liver funct...  Read Full »