Cellulitis

I have cellulitis in the lower part of the leg. Kindly suggest an antibiotic.

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from cellulitis in the lower part of the leg from the last 15 days. I had consulted a doctor and he prescribed Clarithromycin 500 mg. The infection was greatly reduced. As soon as I stopped using antibiotic, it became red and pain started again over the part where it was pr...  Read Full »

Dr. Bharat Patodiya

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please get your blood sugar checked and send a blood culture. If the organism shows resistance to certain drugs, then we need to change the antibiotics to cure cellulitis. Also get an ultrasound of the abdomen to rule out inguinal lymphadenopathy. Please send a picture of...  Read Full »

Is suturing required after all tooth extractions?

Query: Hi doctor, I had an unusual feeling about a month ago. I did not think anything serious was going on. About a week ago, I began experiencing pain on the left side of my mouth. A few days later, I noticed significant swelling near my jawline under my eye. I went to a clinic and the dentist determine...  Read Full »

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay

Dentist, Endodontist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, your concerns are genuine. There was an abscess formation due to the broken tooth in the upper jaw, so the Dentist took out the tooth and drained the abscess. This increases the effectiveness of the medication and works sooner. You need to complete the course of me...  Read Full »

My father has a wound in his leg with cellulitis. How to treat it?

Query: Hi doctor,My father got a wound in his leg in a small accident. He is a diabetic and because of this reason, cellulitis has occurred in his leg. We took a treatment for that, but the treatment is somewhat doubtful to us. He is on Distaclor CD 375 and Debridase ointment. Please give us a suggestion.  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com We are here to help you. In evaluating his case, my recommendations would be that he should be admitted for a week and should be given injectable broad antibiotics according to his culture and sensitivity report. He would also require a color Doppler of his leg to rule out...  Read Full »

Can antibiotics help in reducing persistent swelling in my legs?

Query: Hello doctor, Before six years, my legs had gotten swollen for seemingly no reason, and within a year after that without changing my diet I started to gain an excessive amount of weight. Doctor did not know what it was, so he sent me to every specialist for a bunch of tests then finally a vascular...  Read Full »

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Are you a diabetic? Can you send me pictures of your legs, if possible? Is filariasis endemic in your area? Possible causes are like: 1. Cellulitis of lower limb. 2. Filariasis with lymphangitis. 3. Myxedema with secondary infection. Also, there is a poss...  Read Full »

What causes a swollen ankle to turn dark red?

Query: My father, Male, 77 years old with swollen ankle redness of the swollen area has turn into dark red, not diabetic since last check up last year, he had a stroke before and has undergone liver operation due to cancer 8 years back. He has no fever , chills or dizziness. Just pain in the affected area...  Read Full »

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

Answer: Hello Dear your father may be developed cellulitis or joint effusion ( due to hepatic insufficiency). If the limb is warm means it may be cellulitis so need to start immediate treatment. If it cold at the affected area with no fever then may be eczema or purpura or rash. So 1. Keep limb elevation...  Read Full »

Is surgery mandatory for boils in the leg?

Query: Hello doctor, My brother has swelling on his left foot. He has a boil on his left inner leg 4 inches above his left ankle inner bone. The doctor he visited gave him medicines for his boil and said the boil will come out in some days. The swelling in his foot has increased and so he visited the same...  Read Full »

Dr. C Elanchezhian

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. He is having diabetes? If yes, what is the sugar level? If yes, first you have to control the sugar level. He is having a deep infected ulcer with cellulitis. What medications he is on? Since it is a deep and swelling extended up to the foot better open the wound ...  Read Full »

What is the itchy bump around my second toenail?

Query: Hello doctor, I have an itchy bump around the nail of one of my toes, the second one. It has happened in the past years, usually when the season gets warmer. It started about a month ago and grew into a quite itchy, sensitive and swollen area. It is now turning to purple. I tried antifungals before,...  Read Full »

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your concern and examine your pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It seems that you are having paronychia.¬†Acute paronychia is a soft tissue infection around a fingernail that begins as cellulitis, but that may progress to a definite ab...  Read Full »

What causes swollen foot with purple discoloration in a diabetic?

Query: Hello doctor, My left foot is swollen with purple color and pain. I am currently on Diamicron 60 mg and Xelevia 100 mg.  Read Full »

Dr. Prabhakaran Selvam

Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Sonologist, Toxicologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. With history, I feel you have left foot cellulitis. It is the infection on the foot. You might need heavy antibiotics for the infection. Is warmth present on the wound? Any pus discharge from the area? Kindly update these details and also the picture of the purple c...  Read Full »

What can cause pain starting from the left side of the hip to the leg?

Query: Hello sir This query is about a pain in veins of my mother which is started from her left side hip and spread in whole leg... this pain is unbearable. She is 46 years old. Her height and weight is 5'4" , 83 kg. She have problem in her knees too due to over weight Kindly advise me the best solu...  Read Full »

Dr. Kapil Gupta

Answer: Hello. Welcome to icliniq.com Can you describe the pain a little more and share some pictures of the affected leg if possible. Does the pain occur on moving the leg? Is the pain like a current like sensation from the hip to the leg? Is there any change of colour in the affected leg? Is the...  Read Full »

Will flea or bug bite likely to cause cellulitis?

Query: Hello doctor, Usually, I let my cats go out and play in the backyard. They frequently bring in fleas and bugs in the house. So I get flea and bug bites. I usually get red bumps on the areas of my legs and lower legs. But recently I notice that there is a confined area that looks like a scab. Thi...  Read Full »

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed the attached photograph and can appreciate the scabbed area. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is not cellulitis at all. It is because of the intense itching the area has excoriated and then turned into a scab. No need to take oral a...  Read Full »