Cellulitis

Will flea or bug bite likely to cause cellulitis?

Query: Hello doctor, Usually, I let my cats go out and play in the backyard. They frequently bring in fleas and bugs in the house. So I get flea and bug bites. I usually get red bumps on the areas of my legs and lower legs. But recently I notice that there is a confined area that looks like a scab. Thi...  Read Full »

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed the attached photograph and can appreciate the scabbed area. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is not cellulitis at all. It is because of the intense itching the area has excoriated and then turned into a scab. No need to take oral a...  Read Full »

I am six months pregnant and I have swollen feet and ankles. Please advice.

Query: Hello doctor, I am six months pregnant. I have swollen feet and ankles. It hurts when water runs over them. I also have lower back pain and some dizziness. Kindly help.  Read Full »

Dr. Donalyn S. Barcial

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A pregnant woman usually has edema (swollen lower extremities) especially if she has been standing quite long. However, it is never tender but just heavy. It spontaneously resolves when she places her feet at least two pillows higher than her body or only by little e...  Read Full »

Why are there redness, swelling and pain in the arm after popping a blister in a Meth addict?

Query: Hello doctor, My husband is 36 years old. He is fit and healthy, rarely gets sick. But he is a Meth addict. He missed the vein when injecting in top part of his wrist. The injection site looks like a small ant bite. It formed a water blister that he popped and put Neosporin on. But his hand is red,...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This looks like a cellulitis (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it is an infection of subcutaneous tissue. He needs antibiotics and blood test. Convince him for visit. He will need a hemogram test, and blood culture to look for the extent of infection....  Read Full »

What is the possible reasons for the leg swelling due to mosquito bite?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 35 year old female. For four years, my right leg has swollen once in a year in the summer or when I go for agricultural works in mud fields. Initially it starts with fever, vomiting, body pain, chillness and then my leg will change to light red color and the swelling will start....  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It looks like you had cellulitis. You might have scratched your leg and later on it has developed an infection. I think you are accumulating gas in your foot and in your leg. I think you should be seen by an orthopedic surgeon sooner rather than later. You need a co...  Read Full »

I have pain under my right rib. Is it due to drinking alcohol?

Query: Hi doctor, I am an 18 year old male, and I weigh 90 kg and 178 cm tall. I have pain under my right rib, and it hurts while breathing. I hope it is not liver related from alcohol. I had two drinks in the last few days, but those are the only drinks I have ever had.  Read Full »

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It does not seem to be related to alcohol drinking as per your history, as two drinks do not make much of a change with the anatomy of the liver. It is probably suggestive of muscle related problem. It might be myalgia or cellulitis. I suggest you get a liver funct...  Read Full »

Developed painful swelling in the upper arm, vaccinated site. What is the treatment?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 53 year old lady with controlled DM for four years and mild hypertensive for two years, I have received Influenza vaccine and Meningococcal vaccine on the same day in both upper arm sides before one week. Today, I developed painful swelling with redness in my left upper arm at the ...  Read Full »

Dr. Veerpal Singh Uppal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. A painful swelling after vaccine at the injection site in a diabetic patient is common. In diabetic patients, if glucose control is inadequate, then any injection of injury causes prolonged healing due to the high sugar level in blood. You just have to check and keep yo...  Read Full »

Should I seek further treatment for my septic joint?

Query: Hi doctor, Before 10 days, I got a cut on my knee. Two days later, I swam in the contaminated water. Then, I realized that my knee was extremely red, inflamed, tender and spreading outward from the site of the cut (first image). I cleaned the wound with alcohol and did not seek treatment. The follow...  Read Full »

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your history and the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Although it is still not clear how the wound happened, did you brush against something while swimming or was it some insect bite? Secondly, as you mentioned fresh water, we n...  Read Full »

Please suggest me an antibiotic to get rid of cellulitis.

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from cellulitis in the lower part of the leg from the last 15 days. I had consulted a doctor and he prescribed Clarithromycin 500 mg. The infection was greatly reduced. As soon as I stopped using antibiotic, it became red and pain started again over the part where it was pr...  Read Full »

Dr. Bharat Patodiya

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please get your blood sugar checked and send a blood culture. If the organism shows resistance to certain drugs, then we need to change the antibiotics to cure cellulitis. Also get an ultrasound of the abdomen to rule out inguinal lymphadenopathy. Please send a picture of...  Read Full »

What do you recommend for my father's cellulitis leg?

Query: Hi doctor,My father got a wound in his leg in a small accident. He is a diabetic and because of this reason, cellulitis has occurred in his leg. We took a treatment for that, but the treatment is somewhat doubtful to us. He is on Distaclor CD 375 and Debridase ointment. Please give us a suggestion.  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com We are here to help you. In evaluating his case, my recommendations would be that he should be admitted for a week and should be given injectable broad antibiotics according to his culture and sensitivity report. He would also require a color Doppler of his leg to rule out...  Read Full »

I have an itchy bump around the second toe nail. What is it?

Query: Hello doctor, I have an itchy bump around the nail of one of my toes, the second one. It has happened in the past years, usually when the season gets warmer. It started about a month ago and grew into a quite itchy, sensitive and swollen area. It is now turning to purple. I tried antifungals before,...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your concern and examine your pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It seems that you are having paronychia. Acute paronychia is a soft tissue infection around a fingernail that begins as cellulitis, but that may progress to a definite ab...  Read Full »