Q. What can be done for foot drop after surgery for herniated disc?

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

I am 32 years old and had an herinated disc and had surgery a few years back, it was a post delayed surgery. Due to the delay in surgery (18 days) I left with a foot drop and right leg weakness. I was bedridden for 4 months. Totally weak. But I gradually developed doing physiotheraphy and with some Ayurvedic treatment. I started waking now with out any help. But my foot drop is still there. But I can lift my toe and ankle little bit from last month. Can I come to my normal life, how long I need to wait to get cured from foot drop?

#

I can advise you in detail if i have your detailed neurological charting including assessment of motor power, sensory charting of lower limbs and evaluation of deep tendon reflexes. Also, latest MRI of LS spine is required to see for adequacy of decompression.

To answer your query, the best results come early after the spinal decompression surgery, if motor loss can be ascribed to compression in spinal cord or roots. Also intensive physical therapy helps you to gain power . But since you have started gaining power, it can continue for at least 6 more months, so my advise to you will be to continue with intensive physical therapy including muscle stimulation, vitamin B12 intake and come back to me with your neurological charting and MRI films so that i can see and advise you further.

| 

Disc Prolapse

Article Overview: Disc prolapse, commonly known as sciatica, is one of the most common ailments responsible for back pain. Everyone in this world has suffered from back pain at one time or the other. There are a lot of misconceptions about disc prolapse among people, so this article discusses those misconceptions, causes, symptoms, and various treatment options available. Read Article

Dr. Anuj Gupta

What Is a Disc Prolapse? Disc prolapse or popularly known as sciatica is the protrusion of disc material outside its usual place. That protruded disc may cause compression of the nerve and may present as radiating pain to the respective limb. Our spine is divided into the cervical, thoracic, lumba...  Read Article

How to stop demyelination?

Query: Hi doctor, This query is regarding my dad. He has been limping for a year now. He is a construction worker and about two years ago he accidentally fell down from the first floor. He reassures me that his left leg limping is not due to the fall. He had about 20 sessions of physical therapy. He went t...  Read Full »

My leg fell asleep two weeks ago with pins and needles feeling. Please advise.

Query: Hello doctor, My leg fell asleep two weeks ago and stayed asleep for days with pins and needle feeling constant. When the pins and needles stopped, the left side of my leg stayed asleep as well as my foot. I have foot drop on that side and it has been almost three weeks with no improvement. I had u...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask a Spine Health Specialist Now