Q. What are the causes of foot drop with slight numbness?

This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 05, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 27 year old male, I have got foot drop perhaps from crossing legs frequently. I first noticed the foot drop when I was walking three weeks back, the dorsum and the end of the foot were slightly numb. The numbness has subsided a week back, but I still do not have any power to dorsiflex the foot. I can only flex it up to 1 to 2 cm when I stand up. Is it a good sign that the numbness has subsided? The doctor told me to wait and watch, but I have numbness in my left hand as well at nights, which goes away when I pump my hand. I have had a problem of hard stool previously, and now it has returned. I still have not got my reports of vitamin B12 and CRP. Should I be worried?

#

• The most common cause of foot drop is if any intramuscular injection is given wrongly, tarsal tunnel syndrome, leprosy and cauda equina syndrome.
  • It is a good sign that the numbness has reduced.
  • I recommend you get the following tests done after consulting your doctor.
  1. MRI of the lumbosacral spine.
  2. Nerve conduction study.
  3. Thyroid profile.
  • Once the tests are available and if all clear, then we need not worry as it would recover slowly and spontaneously. However, if any cause is found that needs to be treated.

Revert with more information to a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

Thank you for replying. I have already given my blood for thyroid profile and vitamin B12 test, and I am waiting for the reports. Now I have foot drop without any numbness, and I can move my foot up more than before. However, it is still very weak. Can this be due to peroneal nerve entrapment?

#

• Yes, this can happen with peroneal nerve entrapment.
  • But we need to find out what caused the nerve to get entrapped? So, the tests mentioned above need to be done. Otherwise, you are improving.

For further queries consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|