Q. My mother has pain in the back of the head for more than a week. Please help.

Dr. Peter Bryant Rapsing Grutas
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 28, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 08, 2021

My mother, aged 47 years, has pain in the back of her head for more than a week. We did not give her Panadol because it does not suit her intestine. She also takes medications like Anafranil, Zestoretic, and Inderal for anxiety and blood pressure. She also gets panic attacks sometimes, almost gone for a month, but it has become more frequent since the headache came. Her headache occurs right at the back of her head on the left side and is sharper when she wakes up in the morning, and it sometimes feels like she is wearing a tight rubber band as her head feels very tight and feels slight vomiting. Within these nine days, she was fine after the fifth day, and then it came back on the eighth and ninth day, which is today. We also gave her a neck collar which helped her feel better yesterday, but she removed it today as she felt tightness in her neck and head. My mother had migraines four to five years back, and they are almost gone as they come back rarely and go away after a short period. My mother also takes Neo carbon medicines sometimes for gastric problems when she feels the need. Please help me and tell me what I should do.

#

It seems she has cervical myogenic pain syndrome. Therefore, I recommend that she take Eperisone 50 mg thrice daily for five days, Celecoxib 200 mg twice a day for three days, and apply Indomethacin gel on the affected area as needed for pain. In addition, since she has a history of upset stomach, she needs to take Omeprazole 40 mg thirty minutes before breakfast for two weeks. I would also recommend that she undergo a physical therapy program to include a cervical range of motion exercises, myofascial release, and ischemic compression therapy by gentle passive stretching. I hope this helps. Please revert if you have more queries.

|