Q. I have undergone cesarean for delivery of my baby. When do I start normal sex life?

Dr. Aarti A Abraham
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 26, 2013 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have undergone a cesarean section for delivery of my baby two months ago. I need some guidance. Is it fine to continue my normal sex life from now onwards? What kind of precautions should be taken into consideration? Is it required to take any medicine to avoid pregnancy? Perhaps the chances of getting pregnant during this time are high. Any other suggestion or inputs from your side? Please help me with your valuable advice.

Dr. Aarti A Abraham

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I would answer your question in the order you asked them.

Normal sex life can be resumed six weeks after a cesarean section. However, it is better to consult your gynecologist before commencing sexual activity.

Consult your gynecologist for a reliable birth control method. Choose whatever method suits you, right from condoms to birth control pills or the Depo shot (Progesterone).

You would require reliable birth control, even if you are breastfeeding and not having your periods.

Avoid lifting heavy weights, but you can resume exercise safely two months after cesarean section.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|