Q. I have undergone cesarean for delivery of my baby. When do I start normal sex life?

Dr. Aarti A Abraham
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 26, 2013 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have undergone a cesarean section for delivery of my baby two months ago. I need some guidance. Is it fine to continue my normal sex life from now onwards? What kind of precautions should be taken into consideration? Is it required to take any medicine to avoid pregnancy? Perhaps the chances of getting pregnant during this time are high. Any other suggestion or inputs from your side? Please help me with your valuable advice.

#

I would answer your question in the order you asked them.

Normal sex life can be resumed six weeks after a cesarean section. However, it is better to consult your gynecologist before commencing sexual activity.

Consult your gynecologist for a reliable birth control method. Choose whatever method suits you, right from condoms to birth control pills or the Depo shot (Progesterone).

You would require reliable birth control, even if you are breastfeeding and not having your periods.

Avoid lifting heavy weights, but you can resume exercise safely two months after cesarean section.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Pregnancy test had two mildly visible lines, but it is now negative.

Query: Hello doctor, I had unprotected sex six weeks ago and my period was late for two weeks. I used the first PT when my period was five days late and it has two lines but it is not that visible. After three days, I tried again and it is already negative. Up to the two-weeks late period, all PT are negat...  Read Full »

Fetus revealed with mild hydrocephalus. Is it a serious condition?

Query: Hi doctor, Mild hydrocephalus shown with breech presentation in 36 weeks ultrasound scan. None of the previous report showed any abnormality. Genetic test done earlier in 2nd trimester was also normal. I want to understand what should be the next step for a healthy and sound mother and baby. I had a...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»