Q. Pregnancy test is negative, but I have breast secretions. Could I be pregnant?

Dr. Deepika Joshi Khare
Published on May 23, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jan 09, 2019

I had my last period on the 1st of last month. I did not have sex until the 33rd day (it was protected sex) of my cycle. Now, I have not yet had my periods. It is the 39th day and I took a pregnancy test on the 38th day and it came out to be negative. I do not know what to do. I did have my exams going on during the time of my expected menses. So, I am guessing it is stress. If the test came out to be negative, then is there still a chance? And, also I am having breast secretions for which my doctor has given me the B long F tablet. She said it is hormonal but she does not yet know that I had sex because she is my family doctor.

Dr. Deepika Joshi Khare

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

If you had sex on the 33rd day, then the test will not come positive so early even if you have conceived. It takes around two weeks to come positive.Although the chances are very less, you should rule out pregnancy. Do a test around 47th day.

Amenorrhea can be because of hyperprolactinemia as you are also having breast secretion. Get a serum prolactin and thyroid profile done. Stress is also one of the causes of delayed periods. Just relax and wait for your period.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

What are the common reasons for nipple discharge?

Query: Hi doctor,I had a cyst in my breast and it was removed before two years. For the last two months, some liquid is coming from the nipple while taking shower. What to do?  Read Full »

Stress causes stiffness in my neck and back. What can be done about it?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a stiffness of neck and pain which continues to the back further. This often happens when a stressful situation arises, which also raises my BP. Worries related to health and other life concerns keep bothering me. Please suggest.  Read Full »

What are the first signs of early-onset menopause?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 53 year old female. My periods have been delayed for two weeks. Till now they are normally regular. Could it be the early onset of menopause or they will eventually come?  Read Full »